Sitcom Live Audience Setups

Phil Rosati

Hey group, I'm curious about setups that people have found successful with live studio audiences, whether it's sitcom, or imrpov (Chappelle Show) type shows. I'm curious about how you capture audience laughter, within the show, and what you do to try and separate the laughter from the performances. Also, do you place speakers for the audience to be able to hear the performance better, and if so how do you make sure to have minimal bleed from speakers to audience mics. Just curious, I might be working with a setup like this soon, so I'm just wondering what the pitfalls are, so we can try and be prepared. Thanks everyone!

Phil Rosati

how you capture audience laughter, audience mic's

what you do to try and separate the laughter from the performances. well first, there is the physical separation between the set and the audience (and sitcom stages are designed for this! and of course directional mic's!

do you place speakers for the audience to be able to hear the performance better, yes, that separation I mentioned means they can't hear without them!

how do you make sure to have minimal bleed from speakers to audience mics. multiple small speakers at low volume, directional mics, physical separation

I might be working with a setup like this soon, so I'm just wondering what the pitfalls are, so we can try and be prepared. experience would be your best preparation. of course your situation may not be the same as a mainstream, typical, "industry standard" type show many of today's mainstream shows are not even "typical".

there is lots of different equipment (different from ENG/EFP, or traditional film (aka drama) shows) involved, and lots of different requirements.  for an example sound effects in the show need to be played back live to the audience, and to the actors, too!  booming is about 100% done with multiple, real booms (Fisher's) not fish-poles, and wireless mics used to be very rare, though that seems to be changing in sitcom's as well as "drama". Rehearsals and communications are also way, way different.

These differences are hugely significant and have influenced the Emmy system;  when Aly McBeal, which was shot drama style was entered as a comedy, and shut out the sitcom crews from their award, the description was modified for the technical awards from "comedy/Drama" to "Single Cam/Multi-Cam", but then even that isn't really accurate any more;  the thing is that sit com mixing is a way different animal, involving some rather different gear, techniques,  and skills...

and that is just a start....

speaking of sitcom's, they may be making a comeback:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-et-pilots7-2009apr07,0,7577096.story