Inverter recomendations

Simon Paine

Guest tourtelot

Ouch! $700 for the lowest wattage pure sine wave unless I missed one.  Looks like 1000W is the smallest and thats pretty large for your average cart.  I find that the Samlex 300W pure sine wave powers my AC stuff really well; no strain, no over-heat, quiet in itself (ie. doesn't hum or buzz).  Gotta get rid of the $4 fan.  $160 at donrowe.com (no affiliation of course).

FWIW,  I have gone through a few different types of 40mm cooling fans looking for a good combination of air handling and quietness suitable for my now requisit 300W on-cart inverter, and I think I have found a good combination.

The fan is an Ixtreme 40 by Silenx.  It is already pretty quiet a full speed, and comes with a set of silicone rubber mounts to isolate it from the metal case.  It was still a bit noisy for me, (although not for those Gaffers who fail to hear their ballasts buzz or their dimmer fans<g>) so I inserted a 100 Ohm resistor in series with the +12VDC lead.  That sends about 7VDC to the fan; it still pushes lots of air and the speed (and noise) is about halfed.  YMMV, but seems pretty good to me.

BTW, use the three-to-two DC power converter to figure out the polarity.  They are fragile with regards to reversed voltage.

D.