12 Rounds

Mick

My wife and I saw a movie this weekend that has slipped under the radar. Remember Renny Harlin? Used to be married to Geena Davis and directed Sly Stallone and some other 80s 90s icons before a couple of his movies tanked in a big way? (I remember some sort of pirate movie with Geena Davis that decelerated his career) He helmed this film, 12 rounds, and although it will never raise any thespian appreciation eyebrows, boy what a great action movie. The visuals are stunning, no pun intended, and the sound is awesome. A very stressful, exciting, entertaining two hours. Check it out if that's your thing. Great sound design and dialogue recording. IMO.

MIck 

Hey Mick, I dig movie reviews from our members. I post them now and again, but most don't seem to post reviews for whatever reason. I believe the Prod Mixer was Paul Ledford. He and his crew had some wild set ups as I recall reading in another article about the film and Paul's work with helical antenna's. How did it look on the big screen? I believe it was shot on the Red Camera. Tough competition against Fast n Furious.

CrewC

Crew, If this movie was in fact shot on the Red Camera, then the line between digital video and film has become thin indeed. Although I have no practical experience with HD cameras as yet, I love the look and potential for manipulation that these tools bring to the art. I'm hoping to shoot my next short film on two Reds so seeing this movie was serendipitous for me. I saw that it was indeed Paul Ledford that mixed this film and I'm sure he had a blast doing such a good job. I'd love to hear from him in this forum about how that particular job went. Well written piece too.

Mick

Tech spec on imdb has the following listed:

Camera: Panavision Panaflex Millennium XL, Primo Lenses

Neg format: 35 mm (Kodak Vision2 500T 5218)

Cine process: Digital Intermediate (master format) Super 35 (source format)

Jamie

I stand corrected. I read so my sites like pvc and studiodaily etc, that I could be confusing many different films and what was unique about them.

CrewC

Yes we used the helicals and they worked like a charm.  They were mounted onto the top of the van Paul tricked out for driving stuff.  The transmitters were blocks away and no dropout.

We did record several dialog scenes man, it wasn't all sound fx!

Dan Izen

Yes we used the helicals and they worked like a charm.  They were mounted onto the top of the van Paul tricked out for driving stuff.  The transmitters were blocks away and no dropout.

We did record several dialog scenes man, it wasn't all sound fx!

Dan Izen

Good to hear they work as advertised. Are you going to get them at some point? I am close to the up grade. Thanks.

CrewC

I got a set from Video Village in Philly last November.  Now they live on the cart and almost never have to be remoted.  Maybe once or twice per show!  I hose-clamped 2 C-stands without the feet to both sides of the PSC cart so I can fly them up 12'.  Strangely, I met and chatted with Freddy Chancellor in Atlanta who helped design those things!  Super cool dude who told me some zany stuff about how those things work.  I went the whole package that comes with a sweet Storm Case (way better than Pelican), 2 sharkfins that do appear to work better than the PSC ones, and a nice set of RG8 BNCs.  A little less than $2k for em and *well* worth it!

Dan  

Hey Dan, don't feel too bad about figuring out how to attach a picture here. I had to call Jeff myself. It is easy, just start a reply and say something or start with a picture. Either way look for the Additional Options on the bottom left of the post box. Click it and the rest is easy.

CrewC

Wow  I have had my head down wrapping up a small project with a load of post file work and surround microphones. Sorry to come into this late but glad to reply to questions.

For 12 Rounds, nice to read comments from other mixers. Thank you for that and a great public thank you again to Dan Izen who did fill in for me on the dime and did a great job.

To catch up on the brief .. yes it was 35mm film, 3 cameras most of the time and more some times ... and lots of lighting from the floor ... lights laying on the floor. This was a show mostly using body lav microphones with the boom taking the air to open things up. We pushed hard to get as much dialogue as possible and won over the production team that we could do just that. We learned a lot along the way and the production team in time gave us the support for the time and space to do our job. Loads of plant microphones for dialogue and effects on cars, tail pipes, streetcars, helicopters and fire trucks.

AND let me not forget the post folks at Warner Brothers under Chris Aud also did a great job with the material we provided and their editing and additional sound work towards the finish product.

The helical antennas were just great and yes that was only one part of the equation. For those of you thinking of car to car stuff, this combination of helical and external transmtiter antennas worked great for us. I would stay away from yagi to yagi or  shark-fin to shark-fin .. you will get caught with chopping RF.

The transmit antennas we used were from England by a company named Wallen and I got those from Evan Mather at VARK Audio in Maryland. I am sure others can be found from other antenna makers, but these did fit the bill of being small, black and looking like police car stuff enough for this film. We used these mag mounts not only on the roof and trunk, but horizontally on the sides of vehicles because the helical would see a good signal in all planes of use. Do not clump the antennas together, we got best results by spacing them out. I know Lectrosonics makes antennas you can drape away from the transmitters and hang off the cars, but I never got that far in our research as I like to find ways of being in plain sight if possible.

It was a mindset to cover as much stuff as possible since we are using a machine like the DEVA 5. We loaded up the tracks with all those plants and the MS Stereo mic away from the dialogue to get either sync effects or backgrounds working with the foreground sync stuff.

There is an article that I think Crew must have seen and the link is below.

http://www.studiodaily.com/filmandvideo/currentissue/How-Helical-Antennas-Make-a-Safer-Set_10573.html

I attached a photo of our last setup for a HBO project with even more stuff up top ready for a drive across the Mississippi River Bridge. For both the sound and video Assist departments.

Paul

post-81-130815080542_thumb.jpg