K-ZEP

redge

I understand that a number of people saw this product in Las Vegas and I am interested in knowing whether my perception about it, from the point of view of using a Schoeps microphone and not having seen the product, is accurate.

From what I see on the Trew Audio site, and from what I have read about the K-ZEP, it looks like it may be a W20R1 with a larger volume of air between the fur and the basket. For those who have a problem with the fact that the plastic "nose" of the W20R1 is in contact with the front grill of the microphone (You know who you are), it might be preferable for that reason alone.

If the analogy to the W20R1 is correct, it may be more attractive than the W20R1 in medium wind and perhaps equal to, or close to equal to, a Rycote Zeppelin, in higher winds.

Comments appreciated, especially since I have to make a decision about wind protection for a CMC541, beyond the W5D hollow ball that Schoeps sells for light wind, this coming week.

Guest tourtelot

I have no direct experience with the Zep but I can say that Manfred makes extrordinarily great products.  I also think that knowing Manfred, I bet that if you bought one and didn't like it, he'd happily give you your money back.  One of THE nicest people you'd ever want to meet!

I have the same impression of Mr. Klemme, but seeing his product in New York, apart from boom poles,is difficult.

B+H, for better or worse, seems to have the best on-site range of K-Tek products in the city.

The four New York specialized sound dealers that I have been to don't carry K-Tek product, other than boom poles, except on special order.

In fact, if one wants to go to one store and see a comparision of Schoeps, Rycote and K-Tek products, it is basically impossible, except at B+H, sort of.

Frankly I'd rather give my money for sound gear to someone other than B+H (if only because I spend quite enough there) if I could find a store that could  show me the product, but the fact is, it ain't easy. In New York, apart from B+H, if you want to see a Rycote and K-Tek suspension or zeppelin, you have a choice between Rycote (or PSC) in the flesh and K-Tek in a photo.

As someone who is fairly new to this, the inability to do something as elemental as go to a distributor and see what product is on the market is extremely frustrating.

The bottom line is that B+H has the product but no knowledge, and the smaller dealers have knowledge, but no product.

Anyway, this is a long way from my original query :)

redge,

I understand your frustrations. I am in GA and there are no dealers anywhere close to me. However I usually deal with Trew Audio and they have never let me down yet. John in the sales department has always provided me with fair answers regarding new gear I was buying without ever actually trying it out first. They also have let me return a few things very easyily that didn't meet my needs. They are very understanding so it is possible to buy gear without seeing it successfully.

i own a pair of W20R1s for the pair of cmc6/mk41s i own.  they are great.  they really don't change the sound to my ears and they really cut a lot of wind - not that i've taken it out in a wind storm, but i honestly have not heard any wind come thru them.  just my 2 cents.

i have not seen the new k-tek softie or zeppelin, except in pictures online.  acutally, i am in the market for a zeppelin for a kmr82 (thanks tony smyles) so i am curious if anyone knows about these too or has any opinions...?

-greg-

(by the way tony, if you read this - i haven't found anyone out here in for market for your other kmr82 - but will still keep asking around...)

I did see the K-Zep at NAB and IMO it's hard to beat for the price. The included K-GPS is a great suspension and worth near 1/2 the cost of the entire package. The cage is open mesh and therefore not suited for use without a wind rat. The cage is crush-proof (sort of, similar to modular Rycote zeps) and should stand up well to travel abuse. The foam end plugs seemed a little strange to me, but mostly because nobody else is doing anything similar. There is no worry of crushing them and I don't think Manfred would have gone that route if he didn't think it to be a sound option. (pun intended). As Manfred, Brenda, and Bianca all pointed out on different occasions, the K-Zep was designed as an "affordable" alternative to the current industry standards.

Personally, my favorite zeppelin is the modular Rycote system as it's both [sort of] crush-proof and I can travel with one tube plus extension to cover all my needs...from CMC64 up to MKH70. But then I'm sure I paid MUCH more than the cost of a K-Zep system. I have various suspensions, but I like the K-GPS as well as any. The K-SM is a little more robust and cheaper, but slightly more prone to handling noise.

EB

I did see the K-Zep at NAB and IMO it's hard to beat for the price. The included K-GPS is a great suspension and worth near 1/2 the cost of the entire package. The cage is open mesh and therefore not suited for use without a wind rat. The cage is crush-proof (sort of, similar to modular Rycote zeps) and should stand up well to travel abuse. The foam end plugs seemed a little strange to me, but mostly because nobody else is doing anything similar. There is no worry of crushing them and I don't think Manfred would have gone that route if he didn't think it to be a sound option. (pun intended). As Manfred, Brenda, and Bianca all pointed out on different occasions, the K-Zep was designed as an "affordable" alternative to the current industry standards.

Personally, my favorite zeppelin is the modular Rycote system as it's both [sort of] crush-proof and I can travel with one tube plus extension to cover all my needs...from CMC64 up to MKH70. But then I'm sure I paid MUCH more than the cost of a K-Zep system. I have various suspensions, but I like the K-GPS as well as any. The K-SM is a little more robust and cheaper, but slightly more prone to handling noise.

EB

thanks for the opinion eric

let me ask you this (or if anyone else wants to chime in):

i want to get a zeppelin for a kmr82 so i can take it outside in everything up to light/mild rain and some windy conditions - i would otherwise get a rycote softie for it, but imagine the k zeppelin would be a better solution for such conditions...any opinions?

-greg-

I bought one from Manfred at NAB and it's wonderful. I use my Senn 50 in the K-Zepp and it does the job as advertised.

The included shock mount is typical K-Tek keeping handling noise to a minimum and with the furry in place there's almost no HF attenuation.

All in all a really well thought out innovatively designed product at a great price.

Eric