Stepping Up In Level Of Work

marque

I've noticed lately that I've kinda reached my limit in the types of jobs I'm getting.  Small Indie films (under $5mil), ENG day work (Oprah,  HGTV, etc.).  What I'm wondering is does anyone have suggestions on how to step up to the next level such as getting a series or even a job as a 2nd on a feature (even sound PA).  I'm sure I could beg but I'm looking for a better way.  I'm also finding that most of my clients have the notion that what I do now is all I do.

THanx,

Marque

When I started doing audio post in earnest I pimped all my production sound clients for work, and made an interesting discovery: this new Phil confused them.  I think they've gotten very used to thinking of me as a kind of tool , "the audio appliance", and one likes tools to have defined and reliable functions.  They looked at me like their screwdriver had just told them that "I'm happy to turn your screws an all but you know I hammer nails too".  Like Scott F,  I find that I mostly have clients who use me for one sort of work or the other, but only a few want both from me.  I'd say keep your clients for the work you're doing, but start looking farther afield for bigger stuff.  For many people from my area (SF), this has meant getting a place to stay in LA and an LA phone number.

Philip Perkins

Well I've got the LA phone number but its tough for me to find work out there since I need to be paid enough to cover the plane ticket, place to stay, and rental car especially when I don't have much of reputaton in LA.  The LA based companies that I have worked for (Pietown, World of Wonder, etc.) only know me as the guy to call when they're in NY.

~Marque