Ty Murray hit with wireless mic?

Richard Ragon

Can't say that I watch this show either Robert.  However, I think the world of woz.

I was on a reality tv show, where they gave the contestants a bunch of electric scooters.  They rode them around the set, until one contestant dropped the Shure transmitter, and it dragged behind her down the street for about a thousand feet.

-richard

Howard Stern reported on Monday's show that Steve-O of MTV's Jackass hurt his back after falling on a wireless mike backpack on Dancing with the Stars, and as a result had to pull out of the show. I recently had to mike up two guys in a fight scene, and we had to figure out where to position the mikes to make sure they wouldn't get in the way. The ankle seemed the best part, but luckily they were both wearing long pants.

And yeah, I did mix in some ambience from the boom. Took a little work to minimize phasing problems, but it sounded great in the final. Tough shoot -- three guys in a small living room, one guy in a wheelchair, two guys with a gun. Not one second had to be looped for the final.

--Marc W.

Keepin it real in reality...

Problem I have encountered on this kind of thing is some cast hate the mics, and think that the extra 2mm thickness the waist strap adds will make them look fat so they don't let me rig them properly... then as they run around and do all the stupid things they do on these shows I cringe as I see the pack come un-tucked, in the shot, with wires sprawling out all over the place..  then I look like the jackass..

Also some of them think they're TV pros so they take the pack off, turn it on/off, and move it willy-nilly whenever they feel like it.

/end rant