power supply (battery) suggestions

greg sextro

hi all

i need to set up a new powering system for my bag.

thinking of np-1 batteries (like the IDX NP-L7S's maybe?).  i've been seeing the BDS system from remote audio on some sites...wondering what my best options are considering i know little about what i really should be looking into and only basics about different battery types.  (note: i will be picking up an electronics for dummies book pretty soon, but that's a different issue)

bag consists of a SD302 and 744t.  i also want to be able to power at least 2 lectro's and maybe another IFB off of it.

can i do all of this off of one battery?  should i put the 302 and 744t on one battery and power any needed wireless off of another?

thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions

-greg-

Greg,

I can try to answer your questions with my limited experience with the Remote Audio BDS (I just used it for the first time yesterday.)  I used a li-ion np-1 (the brand was Switronix) and I picked up a Frezzi overnight charger (I am targetting starting out on the low-end, cost-wise).

I was out all day yesterday doing an ENG job, just running my 302 off of the BDS (no recorder needed for this job, straight into the camera).  After a full day, my battery still showed full charge.  Now, you add in Lectro Rx's and the hard drive spinning in the 744 and that will pull more battery.  But, based on my research (others here I'm sure have real-world experience) you should be able to get by easily with two li-ion batteries in a full day.

As far as the RA BDS, I really like it.  I use the petrol bag, and it has a great battery pocket in it.  And the BDS fits quite nicely under the 302, but a lot will depend on how you set up your bag.

HTH,

Phil

I have run a 302, 442 and 4 Lectro 201's all day on a single Aspen NHP-50.

My typical setup is 302, 2 X 201's, Schoeps.  This will run all week (2-3 days if run-n-gunning 10 hrs a day) on a single Aspen NHP-50.

I am not sure how the 744T will affect the battery drain, but I believe Scott Farr uses Anton Bauer batts when powering similar setups.  Maybe he'll chime in soon.

The beauty of the BDS is the option of which battery to implement!

yeah, i'm pretty sure i'll pick up the BDS system.  i am still curious of opinions about batteries and about using one battery to power all of the rig.

i remember once on a shoot i was trying to power a wendt x5, fostex fr-2 and 2 lectro 201's (i'm pretty sure they were 201s) and also a lectro IFB.  I was getting all this strange dropout/distortion/interference problems with the lectros - which i solved by putting them on batteries instead.  i wonder if this has to do with the NP-1 battery itself that i was using (i have no idea the make or model) or maybe it had to do with the fact that the all three lectros were connected together?  again - so much i don't know about these things.

my curiosity is with lithium ion batteries - what other brands are people using?  maybe this is a question a dealer can answer, but i trust more the opinions of the people here on jwsound!

@ ptalsky - i picked up a petrol bag when i got the 744t - and i can't imagine why i didn't get one sooner for my previous rig.

-greg-

Greg,

Did you get the full harness to go with it?  If not, then get it asap.  Keeping the weight of the bag on my shoulders made it so much easier to lug the bag around all day.  My back didn't ache like it did before I got the harness.

The only downside I have seen so far is (unless I missed something...) you can't swap out a battery in the battery pocket without taking the whole thing off.  Otherwise, it's great!

Phil

The only downside I have seen so far is (unless I missed something...) you can't swap out a battery in the battery pocket without taking the whole thing off.  Otherwise, it's great!

Phil

You just have to unlatch the back support to get at the battery in a petrol bag.

I'll run a 302 and 2 411's all day on 1 NP-1LS. I usually charge it when I am done and cycle to another battery the next shooting day. I used two NP-1LS's to power a 442, 744, 3 411's, Zaxcom, and 2 201 Tx. One for the wireless, and One for the 442 and 744, and lasted all day. Only 2 times did I have to change batts, and that was when the rig was powered ALL day for 13 hours or so. FWIW.

You just have to unlatch the back support to get at the battery in a petrol bag.

I'll run a 302 and 2 411's all day on 1 NP-1LS. I usually charge it when I am done and cycle to another battery the next shooting day. I used two NP-1LS's to power a 442, 744, 3 411's, Zaxcom, and 2 201 Tx. One for the wireless, and One for the 442 and 744, and lasted all day. Only 2 times did I have to change batts, and that was when the rig was powered ALL day for 13 hours or so. FWIW.

so it sounds like i can at least power an sd302 and 744t off the same np-1 battery.  who makes your NP-1LS?

Michael,

I tried that...I guess my belly gets in the way.  ;-)

Thanks!

Phil

Well, now that I think about it! All I do is unlossen the straps and the bag hangs down and I am able to push it away from me enough to get the access needed to retrieve them. I am also usually sitting, and the bag in my lap! I thought it might be a pain, but it became easier as I did it more and more.

Greg, I use  IDX NP-1L7S. Made by IDX.

I just got off a show running 442, 4(X) 411A's, 744T, and phantom on channel 4 for ocassional boom work.  Used BDS V.2 and 2 IDX NPH L50 litiums all from Coffey Sound Rental department.  Got about 5-6 hours runtime on the righ those batts.

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

I can get a full day off of a NP-1 75 Li-ion (IDX) with a 302, 744T, and 2x 411s.  Before I started making customer cases I used a porta-brace in which I put the NP1 under the 302 which helped bring the 302 to the top of the bag.  To do it I bought some corrugated plastic (what is inside the fabric of many porta brace bags) cut it to fit and folded it into a U shape to create a sort of shelf for the mixer.  Worked pretty good but I'll still take my bag over anything commerical.

~Marque

i need to set up a new powering system for my bag. <snip> bag consists of a SD302 and 744t.  i also want to be able to power at least 2 lectro's and maybe another IFB off of it.

BDS is one good idea.  Another one that may work well for you is to simply buy an NP1 cup with multiple outputs.  Hawk-Woods, an English company, makes a very good one with one XLR4 out and 4 Hirose outs.  Since your SD gear already has hiroses on one end it is a simple matter to make Hirose-Hirose cables and run those off two of the 4 Hirose outs.  You could run your wireless off the other two (not sure what the Lectro power connector is) and save the XLR4 for your IFB or any sort of aux application.  Probably a bit cheaper to do that way than to buy a BDS as well, though maybe a bit less full featured.

Regards,

Noah Timan

hw caps have 1.5 amp fuse protection on each pare - not so good idea if you run 744 which have not fully charged  internal battery , beside that, did you sow something cheap that made in UK :-)

The 744T does not run at more than 1.5A so that's not an issue.  I bought a used one here in New York some years ago for about $75...I'm not sure how cheap you're trying to get.  If the BDS is more cost effective than that, go for it.

nvt