Microphones for recording quiet people?

Npoberaj

I have recently been doing some fairly simple sit down interviews with a bunch of ladies, who's voice could not be any quieter. I ask them to talk louder if possible but my request falls on deaf ears. The room we have been using is also not very quiet, AC constantly on, traffic outside ect..

So my question is: What would be the optimal mic for a boom pole for something like that? Right now I am using B6 for lav and the Schopes CMIT 5U for the shotgun. I was thinking maybe a Schopes capsule like the MK4? Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Nejc P

Yea, nothing wrong with those mics, and a different one will not improve the situation much.  Work the hardest on the recording space.  Get that AC turned off, shut off any nearby fridges, compressors, noisy lights, throw sound/furny blankets up on c-stands to deaden the space/windows.  Find a new location if you have to but effort spent on the space will have the most effect. 

Some of the cleanest dialog I ever recorded was done in RCA studio B in Nashville.  The actors were speaking verrry low at some points but the space was so dead and quiet that the dialog always cut through.  Of course the schoeps 41 at hair level helped also..

Which reminds me.. you are getting that cmit as close as the frame allows, right?  Improper mic placement could be what's happening here... experiment with that too..

ps.. what are you using for a preamp?  A lower quality preamp/mixer will have a much higher noise floor that will cut into the ladies voices.

goodluck!

RPsharman is correct in my opinion...  Pats advice works as well, when they actually listen to you..

I know this will sound funny,  but sometimes due to proximity and background noise, a high quality LAV can be a better choice.....

If that is not possible, all you can do is all you can do....  If they placed you in a room where the AC can't be shut off, you in fact have the right mics, placed as close as you can given the shot, and they are quiet talkers, and you have communicated that point....  let it be..... it simply is what it is...

Most of the time, I am surprised how good it does sound away from the headsets, out of a speaker...  Try not to over analyze the situation....  It's hard...

Thanks for all the replies guys. But you were right BodD it sounded pretty much awesome through speakers and away from DT250's. Which I kinda figured it would, but you know you can never be to careful. (I am always thinking of how to do something better.) And Derek I use a SD 442 so that one is not to noisy but you are right I need to invest in some sound blankets. I did however end up covering the AC with a drape the DP had which helped a lot.

Thanks everyone,

Nejc P

Guest BobD

Thanks for all the replies guys. But you were right BodD it sounded pretty much awesome through speakers and away from DT250's. Which I kinda figured it would, but you know you can never be to careful. (I am always thinking of how to do something better.) And Derek I use a SD 442 so that one is not to noisy but you are right I need to invest in some sound blankets. I did however end up covering the AC with a drape the DP had which helped a lot.

Thanks everyone,

Nejc P

Glad it worked out for you  Nejc,  Sometimes you need to have confidence in the quality equipment you buy....  That's why most people on this forum always try to purchase the best gear that one can, at almost any cost....  In the long run, the investment is well worth it... From your mic to your mixer, to your recorder...  at least have a quality component in each catagory, build from there until your package is complete, which never really happens.... It will sound pretty good 9 out of 10 times....

When your good to go there, have some confidence in the FINE folks who work so hard to take those tracks of yours and sometimes perform miracles removing background noise,  using their skills to re mix and re tool the material with other sounds to arrive at what we see on TV.  The latest post software is amazing....  And the folks who do it when good are just as amazing.....

Thats why I still prefer the little PR-72 Comteks for most if not all of the listeners monitoring the material I am recording. You want them to listen to content only, otherwise, you'll be explaining this all day to people who are usually totally out of the loop.  These fine folks are better suited to discussing the Sushi they had last night, not asking why they hear the leaves rustling...  Semi open ear headsets helps as well.... 

Good job buddy!!!!

Thats why I still prefer the little PR-72 Comteks for most if not all of the listeners monitoring the material I am recording. You want them to listen to content only, otherwise, you'll be explaining this all day to people who are usually totally out of the loop.  These fine folks are better suited to discussing the Sushi they had last night, not asking why they hear the leaves rustling...  Semi open ear headsets helps as well.... 

A really good point, Bob.

Yes, Bob a very good point. I made the mistake once of letting a particularly spinny producer listen to a take on a good set of hardwired headphones on a take. After that he became obsessed with sound (at least for that day- next day he was on to makeup and hair, thank god). It was good for a while, as he insisted on total silence while the electrics found that "whiny high pitched noise; "can't you fix that? it's terrible!" Fun for a short time, but those dirty looks my way from the grips and electrics....

Chris Newton