new interface coming

Wow! Metric Halo is the best ... they were one of the first to do a truly professional interface many, many years ago. They are often overlooked since their stuff is not readily available at every Guitar Center and there is the perception that it is very expensive. I think the Metric Halo stuff is pricier than a lot of other interfaces but it is probably worth it.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815080907_thumb.png

Cool.  I wish it had XLRs inputs and not DB25--just another adapter to go bad.  Also, no AES i/o (one pair for the mix etc.).  Also, no ADAT i/o:  this means to add a 2nd unit you'd be forced to aggregate unless it has some way of sensing another unit on the FW bus.  I wonder why FW400?

Philip Perkins

The front looks so gorgeous especially with all the LED's lit up.  Beautiful.  I have no problem with DB25 connectors considering that there is going to be cables dangling from the back of the unit anyways.  What they did here was adding a LOT more I/O options but substituting the XLR/TRS hacks with DB25 adapters.  At this point I don't want to think about the price of this unit, but it's very attractive.

I have a pair of MH 2882's and have long wanted a variant with DB25's so that I can tidy up the wiring in the back of my cart. I just hope the gain controls on the front can be physically pushed in or locked out in software.

As for the clocking, the new 2D card upgrade for the 2882's apparently has a higher spec clock than my models but this is still musicians grade, not the film / broadcast grade of 1ppm or better. I'll continue to clock with my 744T or a Lockit.

David M

As for the clocking, the new 2D card upgrade for the 2882's apparently has a higher spec clock than my models but this is still musicians grade, not the film / broadcast grade of 1ppm or better. I'll continue to clock with my 744T or a Lockit.

David M

I am no expert on the whole clocking thing I have to admit, but I was wondering when people are using the MOTU Traveler and other interfaces with most probably "musicians grade" clock, isn't it the standard practice to use an external clock? Many of the lower cost interfaces do not even provide for external clocking; the Traveler and the Metric Halo obviously do.

-  Jeff Wexler

Sonic Studio (http://www.sonicstudio.com) who make music mastering software supply full rack width variants of Metric Halo's hardware. These products which have quite a price premium over the MH 2882, have options including  Jensen transformer inputs, AES I/O's on DB25's, and TC I/O's for the Sonic Studio software. Perhaps Metric Halo are rationalising the product manufacturing lines a little. On the other hand, if the TC input can be treated as extra audio I/O's on the routing matrix, Metacorder and Boomrecorder could access that TC.

David M

I am no expert on the whole clocking thing I have to admit, but I was wondering when people are using the MOTU Traveler and other interfaces with most probably "musicians grade" clock, isn't it the standard practice to use an external clock? Many of the lower cost interfaces do not even provide for external clocking; the Traveler and the Metric Halo obviously do.

The great feature of the MOTU Traveler is that it has a software timecode generator included. For the price conscious, a Traveler and a Mac with Boomrecorder is all you need to get recording with timecode. The sync will good for up to 10 minute takes assuming there's no free run timecode slate or camera timecode involved as the Traveler internal clock spec seems to be around 50 to 100ppm. I did some tests with a Traveler, MH 2882 and a G4 Mac Powerbook referenced against a calibrated Ambient Controller a few years ago. The Powerbook internal sound card was best at about 10ppm (parts per million).

David M

-  Jeff Wexler

A lot of the rack mount interfaces do have WC inputs, and "musician grade" internal clocks are one reason why.  The Traveler does mostly hold sync w/ its internal clock and TC gen for a 10 min take, but by the time you shoot your 10 min take your slate will have been jammed for an hour at least (at the start of a day) and will be way off what the generator is doing.  Hence the ext. clock.  The Traveler not only will sync perfectly w/ a good external clock, it also sounds better when the clocking is solid--this why studios buy Apogee "Big Ben" clocks etc..  For a location sound monkey the easiest thing to do is use your hardware recorder (SD, Deva etc) as a clock and TC generator--it makes WC and TC that are locked together, has outputs for both and a TC display (and you probably own it already. 

Philip Perkins

Here's the bullet points

• Ten channels of archival quality, zero-phase distortion DC-coupled, calibrated 192k D/A

• Eight channels of Metric Halo digitally remote-controlled, high-headroom ULN-R preamps 
(-130dBu EIN)

• Two channels of exceptional ultra high-Z direct input for instruments

• 8in/8out 192k AES interface

• Full-featured front panel tactile control surface for standalone and connected operation

• All inputs switchable between line and mic

• Eight channels of analog domain send (for analog S/R before conversion and analog preamp output)

• Metric Halo's exclusive per-channel selectable Character

• Word clock in and out

• Digitally-controlled analog domain monitor control

• Full-featured fifteen segment precision metering

• SMPTE I/O channels

• MIDI I/O for direct connect of Mackie control protocol control surface

• Integrated mixing and deep instantiable DSP processing (includes full +DSP license)

• Rock-solid stability - mature, real-world-tested firmware, & time-tested fifth-generation Mac OS software and drivers

• FireWire interfacing with ultra-stable, ultra low-latency drivers (FW400 & FW800 supported)

• Exceptional power performance (only 32 watts - DC powerable)

• Low mass (9 lbs. / 4.1 kg.)

• Extremely compact (everything in 1 RU)

• Rack-mountable

The ULN-8 has an MSRP of US $5.995.

And Phillip, there is no zipper noise when adjusting trim. Super clean/ transparent pres and AD DA both of which are touted as the best around. I've been beta testing and have been thoroughly enjoying it.

Looks like a great piece of kit but 6K's a little too rich for my blood at the moment. Especially since they have me working out of the bag a lot these days. While I'm sure well worth every penny, when I heard rumors of it's development I was hoping it would be about half that. Guess someone has to pay for all the R&D. :) EBaume

Also there is a software update. The software allows for simultaneous record to 2 separate drives/ files as well as timestamping bwfs

Sweet about the no zipper noise, but I/m pretty sure MH stuff hasn't had that for awhile--ie you could actually mix on its moni mixer "for air".  I'll have to see what they mean by "record to two drives"--that would seem to have more to do with the app in use than the interface.  Metacorder and BR do this, MC to 3 drives if you want.  But a cool piece of gear--I'm a little surprised at the price, since a Traveler is under $1k, an 8Pre about $800, and the RME stuff just a bit more than those.  Maybe the preamps are the story....

Philip Perkins

Guest jimg

There is a lot to this thing, when you look closely. 8 channels of AES I/O, the additional 8 balanced sends and the 10 D/A's. I can't afford it, but it seems pretty feature-packed.

Best regards,

Jim

I'll have to see what they mean by "record to two drives"--that would seem to have more to do with the app in use than the interface.  ---I'm a little surprised at the price, since a Traveler is under $1k, an 8Pre about $800, and the RME stuff just a bit more than those.  Maybe the preamps are the story....

Philip Perkins

I think part of the cost is the inclusion of very powerful and full featured software that comes with it. The other interfaces you mention come with software to assist in setup and routing (like the Cue software I believe it's called withe the MOTU stuff) but do not provide the extensive feature set, multitrack timecode capable recording software, plugins and so forth that Metric Halo offers. I agree that it is still quite pricey and you are right that the quality of the preamps is a factor (although most times irrelevant for the way we have been using interfaces as Line In only devices).

-  Jeff Wexler