Closed areas..

Richard Ragon

Greetings Jeff,

Have you ever looked into providing 'closed' areas?  It would seem logical that in order to have most mixers talk opening about clients, that we need some sort of protection from retribution.  There have been cases where a mixer has talked frankly about his experience on a set, only to find that a client did a search from goggle, located the thread, logged in and responded... This of course shuts down any more chat about the subject, and makes everyone look really bad..

Wouldn't it be nice to have an area where you can go share your experiences, without the fear?  I know that the job, of verifying mixers to make sure they are mixers would make more work.. but you could assign a moderator to that specific category and make it "mixers only" perhaps?

As usual, great source.

Thanks

-Richard Ragon

Richard,

I think it's better to keep comments to yourself that might result in loss of work.  While I'm not afraid to state my opinion, the internet can be a place where things are taken out of context.  I try REALLY hard to not make things personal, I tend to choose my words carefully, and I usually do not name names.  It's a bad idea, in my opinion, to have a "closed" area.  If you really need that, call a friend.

Robert

Greetings Jeff,

Have you ever looked into providing 'closed' areas?  It would seem logical that in order to have most mixers talk opening about clients, that we need some sort of protection from retribution.  There have been cases where a mixer has talked frankly about his experience on a set, only to find that a client did a search from goggle, located the thread, logged in and responded... This of course shuts down any more chat about the subject, and makes everyone look really bad..

Wouldn't it be nice to have an area where you can go share your experiences, without the fear?  I know that the job, of verifying mixers to make sure they are mixers would make more work.. but you could assign a moderator to that specific category and make it "mixers only" perhaps?

As usual, great source.

Thanks

-Richard Ragon

I have thought about it but I am not so much of a mind that wants this Group to be closed or even heavily moderated for that matter. I think once a person joins (registers) for this group, everything is wide open. I have had to monitor much more closely who signs up since we have had a rash of bogus sign ups. I know I have mentioned this many times before, but some people's use of odd and cryptic handles makes it all the more difficult to determine who is real and who isn't.

I have also set this whole forum to be viewable by the general public, i.e., anyone with an Internet connection and the URL to this site. There are many levels of security that can be instituted if I wanted to: certain Categories or Boards can be viewable and postable only by registered members for example. I have not chosen to do this.

There is even more possibilities for private meetings, rants and complaints, over on my CinemaSound site. However, I have not chosen to restrict anything there either, beyond just the requirement of registering.

I think if there is a sizable group of people who really feel they need some Internet based private stomping ground, someone else should come up with such a site --- it certainly is not technically difficult to accomplish. As for our various employers snooping in on this site, I think it is probably rare, but as Robert points out, if even a small amount of care is taken when sounding off about something, I don't think anyone is going to get blacklisted for posting here.

- Jeff Wexler

I understand the desire for such a communication space but think you might want to keep that kind of talk in private emails, if you want to put it on the web at all (things have a tendency to wander on the web...).  As I explain to my boomists, if you think you need a private line to tell me something then maybe that thing shouldn't be said out loud on the set at all--save it for later.

Philip Perkins