what's happening on r.a.m.p.s.?

Jeff Wexler

What is happening over on r.a.m.p.s. these days --- it looks like it has been hit by a whole rash of bogus posts, advertisements and so forth. They are pretty random so it may not be so easy to filter out. Is everybody seeing this stuff?

-  Jeff Wexler

Ramps held up on it's own pretty well for a long time. But it (and maybe all google groups) could benefit from some sort of user 'up voting' like reddit and digg have. Maybe that would solve some of the spam problems by giving 'real' posts more weight - and without an actual moderator. But maybe reddit and digg have moderators. I'm not sure.

But like the topic on 'reputation' it's all part of the wild west of Internet 1.0.

Josh

Ramps held up on it's own pretty well for a long time. But it (and maybe all google groups) could benefit from some sort of user 'up voting' like reddit and digg have.

Josh

r.a.m.p.s. is actually NOT a Google Group although Google does provide a portal to the r.a.m.p.s. usenet group. Many people do use this portal or feed for access to usenet groups because they don't have a real usenet reader application. Usenet groups are generally not moderated and they also do not require any sign up or login to access, read and post. This is one of the reasons that there can be so much spam. Google Groups, on the other hand, can be restricted, with sign ups, username and logins required. This forum also has some layer of protection, starting with the member registration process.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

It just seems like usenet/google groups/ramps-type boards have become out-dated because they are powerless to spam. With a lack of a moderator coupled with the the lack of a system to let the readers dictate what is on the front page, spam will thrive because every topic is giving equal weight by the server/web site/page. If these sites were similar to sites like reddit.com or digg.com I think it would put the power/responsibility back on the readers to 'vote up' topics that were of interest. Spam topics would be shuffled to the bottom, I assume. But I don't write code, I just look at web sites, so maybe I'm wrong.

Josh

I think Usenet groups are very valuable.  If you want tech help with any consumer product you are more likley to find answers on a USEnet group than you are with a tech support call to the manufacturer. 

Unfortunately about a couple of years ago a lot of ISPs were forced to drop newsgroups from their servers by those ultra conservatives who claimed they were just for pedophiles.  Spurred on by Nipple-gate at the Superbowl and the FCCs new powers granted by the Bush Admin. to fine anyone that carried anything they objected to.  Many ISPs which are tied to Cable TV companies Phone and TV networks gave in and pulled access to the news servers.  Very few are left.

It is sad that spammers and scammers have discovered usenet as a free outlet for their exploits.  Kind of like a local pickpocket that discovers a magic potion that gives him a million arms that can reach into pockets around the globe any time he wants.  That's quite a temptation to the petty criminals of the world.

----Courtney

I agree with Courtney that there's a lot more spam nowadays on the newsgroups, which is a real shame. But there's all kinds of newsreading software that will automatically delete spam messages or posts by people you don't want to see, like R@bert@. I like <b>Hogwasher</b> for the Mac, and <b>Forte Agent</b> for Windows. You can train them to automatically delete any unwanted newsgroup messages very quickly and easily.

They aren't free, like Google Groups or using the newsreader built into some email programs, but they work a helluva lot better.

--Marc W.

I haven't read R.A.M.P.S. in a couple of years.  It's just too hard for wade through the crap for the tidbits of good information.  I have also found that anything worthwhile there is usually brought up as a subject here by someone who reads both.  So...thanks for that!

Robert

Funny video ... I don't think I would want that guy on my next shoot. I wonder where they found the 3 Nagras that appear to be in perfect shape. The Nagra IS was not a big seller for Nagra and they really only built it to compete with the Stellavox which was always smaller than the full size Nagra. A few of us had that model here in the US but it never really got a following.

is3.jpg

It was fun seeing that machine again.

Note: thank you to Andre for letting me know how to post images inline with the body of the post.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Funny video ... I don't think I would want that guy on my next shoot. I wonder where they found the 3 Nagras that appear to be in perfect shape. The Nagra IS was not a big seller for Nagra and they really only built it to compete with the Stellavox which was always smaller than the full size Nagra. A few of us had that model here in the US but it never really got a following.

is3.jpg

It was fun seeing that machine again.

Note: thank you to Andre for letting me know how to post images inline with the body of the post.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I'll bet a significant percentage of JW posters still have a Nagra somewhere that they've been unable (or unwilling) to sell.

I think I feel a poll coming on.

Philip Perkins

I only have ONE Nagra left, it was my 3rd Nagra 4.2, and I don't think I will ever get rid of it ... too much history (and too little re-sale value!). I am also storing one Nagra III for Don Coufal. I don't think he will ever sell that one either ... it is in perfect shape.

-  Jeff Wexler

I've got 2 IV-STCs.  I'd be happy to sell them if they were worth anything.  Maybe that way I'll stop having bad dreams (another thread) about forgetting how to operate one.  I've also got my original III, but it's not for sale. I plan on being buried with it (the ultimate battery test). LOL

Bruce

Hey Bruce, the 40th anniversary of Woodstock is this summer, as I bet you know, with a new cut of the movie being offered. Is your Nagra III the one that you did the movie with? I know whatever it's history, it has been around the world and heard it all. I love your plan to be buried with it. Big fan of B.P..... Hope all is well.

CrewC

I still have my last IV-S(L), which had a long life as a pilotone machine followed by another life as a Krugelach/Coherent Communications modded TC machine followed by another life as a home-brew TC hotrod machine (by Bill Ruck) and finally a last life as one of the original 6 "Harvey Board" TCS machines thru a very long service life all over the world.  It sleeps quietly under the bench in my shop, awaiting the return of analog....  I justify still having it in case someone needs to do a 1/4" transfer in my studio business, but like most of you I keep it because selling it would feel like selling a leg or an arm.  I lusted after Nagras for so long and was so jazzed when I got my first one (a III) that I think having it is somehow tied up in my identity as a sound man.  When I remodel my studio I'm determined to have a little pedestal for it....

Philip Perkins

• 2 weeks later...

When I remodel my studio I'm determined to have a little pedestal for it....

It is interesting how of all the sound equipment we have, recorders are the one thing that have changed over the years. Nagra open reels, DATs, digital hard drives/CF cards/DVD-RAM discs, and so forth. Rarely does a microphone ever go out of style. In fact, as some age they become more valuable.

Wayne