Any Drummers out there

old school

I just finished playing drums by myself, which is not as much fun as playing music with others, but more fun than not playing at all. Last week I was working with Gary Gossett who is a drummer as well. Hunter Crowley is also a drummer. Just wondering how many other sound folks played drums? I know some play other instruments, like Mick Fowler, he plays keyboards and I am sure others play or did play guitar and bass. Did doing so figure into your ending up in sound? If so then how much? Myself, I see it all related to my growing up in Orange County in the 50's n 60's when garage bands were a huge fad like hot rods and surfing. We were in tune with it all and the music of that time was the glue that joined us all together. I grew up in Fullerton where the late Leo Fender had is famous shop that changed the sound of rock n roll. We would hang out by the back roll up and watch and bug the guys working there, scrounging grill cloth and wood to build our own speaker cabs and just see what we could get. Looking back I find it hard to believe how cool they were to us. We would make all sorts of things for our modest/average at best band, ( The Rubber Band). I think that it all played into the tapestry of my life and career, but who really knows? Just me writing something on a Memorial Day Monday.

CrewC

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Crew, fellow basher here as well. 

I've only recently moved somewhere that I can play them again and it's been great.  I tend to plug the high noise headphones into my iPod and just jam through a few albums.  Definitely agree it's a lot more fun with other musos.

What kind of kit do you play, and who's your favorite (in general) drummer?

For me it was the French Horn -- my main gig before sound mixing. High School, College, recording sessions, Nashville Symphony, and small ensembles -- every waking moment -- before changing directions.

Played horn in a wedding orchestra two weeks ago, including Handel's Water Music. Sweet.

gt

Guest BobD

Just to note,

I have worked with hundreds of drummers in my days.... For many of the worlds best bands... Most of which could not hold a candle to Gary Gossett....  

I went to see him play with his former band many years ago during a reunion show...  I was absolutely shocked at how well he played... So much so that I was feeling a bit bad he was a Sound Mixer.....  He was that good.....  

Hey BobD, good to know that about Gary. It takes a lot of hard work to become average on the drums, so for me it is a joy to see good drummers in any kind of band. Somehow I am not surprised that GG is good. I am average or maybe average - a point or two.

Glen, the French Horn? I didn't see that coming. Glad you are still playing. If I ever need a French Horn part on a song I am doing I am going to call you and see if I can afford your session fee.

Hey John, I knew there had to be other drummers out in jwsoundville... If it's not too late when I get home from work I will always play for 15 mins or so. Great stress release IMO. I am using my youngest sons Pearl Export set. I use the kick, snare, 1 side tom and the floor tom a ride and a hat. Simple like me. I had a 65 Slingerland 4 piece that my brother Cone sold when I was away at college long ago. No wonder I don't like him. As for drummers I like, there are many. Gene Krupa was the 1st I became aware of. Before I ever played drums, I knew of him cause my dad played Benny Goodman at Carnegie Hall all the time and the only thing I liked about that album was Krupa's drumming. Still love that recording. I love rock n roll so many of my favorite's came from the 60's rock scene. I like guys that played the song, not just time pieces. More like Ringo than Charlie Watts. Hard not to dig Bonham, Moon, Baker, Levon Helm, Jim Capaldi. Love Jim Keltner. Many new bands have outstanding drummers, but I don't know their names. What do you play?

CrewC

Lapsed drummer here also - used to play for about 4 hours per day when in my teens. Nowdays I keep looking at the Theremin, and the electric cello - both late night buys from ebay!! I really ought to do some practice. Oh, and there is an as yet unplayed by me Stradavarius Saw that my Mum passed on to me> Hey ho....

Glen T - my sister is principal French Horn in the Irish Symphony Orchestra - small world!!

Kindest regards to all,

Simon B

Hey BobD, good to know that about Gary. It takes a lot of hard work to become average on the drums, so for me it is a joy to see good drummers in any kind of band. Somehow I am not surprised that GG is good. I am average or maybe average - a point or two.

Glen, the French Horn? I didn't see that coming. Glad you are still playing. If I ever need a French Horn part on a song I am doing I am going to call you and see if I can afford your session fee.

Awesome topic Crew.lol

Love drums,drumming,great drummers.

ever since my dad brought home the Buddy Rich,Gene Krupa stuff..then Beatles,Who,etc I was hooked for life.

the Who stuff[Tommy] just freaked me out[in a good way]

Got my first snare drum when I was 6.still have the picture of me whacking away at it on Christmas day 1968!

its kind of a bummer I own 9 plus beautiful vintage kits[including an orig Krupa Radio King set] and not much time to play em.

I'm always tapping on things though.

Blessed to be working so much as a sound mixer but a bit frustrated to not have as much time for my first love:drumming

Crew, fellow drummer here.  Played trumpet in school band, and switched to percussion and timpani when my braces became too painful.  Lately though I seem to be more into collecting than playing.  I have 6 working drum sets, about 10 snares, 1 cocktail kit and a couple of sets needing some restoration or refinishing.

I prefer Slingerland drums from the late 50s to 1969.

Count me as another reformed skin pounder.

Marching band in high school and when I became a professional performer I played drums a few times but leaned much heavier on vocals and guitar.  Made a living playing gigs for about ten years.

While in high school, one summer I studied drums under a national champion whose playing was so precise and tight it could make a grown man cry -- and I was only a teen at the time.

And, yes, sound has always occupied a special place in my heart.  I was an early stereo nut -- another perversion that I'm sure many of us share.  AR turntables, Knight Kits, Scott, and Fisher will always occupy a fond corner in my memory bank.

John B.

when i lived in cali i played drums.  played in some bands too.  since moving to nyc about 8 years ago that has unfortunately fallen by the wayside.  that said, once i locate to somewhere where i can keep a kit, i have some money saved (i kept all my cymbals and hardware, but sold the drums).  i miss it terribly sometimes and still drive some of my friends crazy with incessant tapping and such.

glen, i used to play the french horn!  i played it growing up and even played in an orchestra for about 5 years.  it's such a cool instrument and takes quite a touch to play well.  that i don't miss so much, but have a ton of respect for the instrument.

crew, i remember seeing a kit in your studio back when there was a thread about home studios.  i was instantly jealous.

-greg-

I'm a wanna be drummer.  I'm a hack but I got good rhythm as I was the guy who went after the bass.  Been playing that for 22 years and recently joined a rock band after doing solo for a long time.  Feels good to be back in a band after all that time.  Of course, I have a kit in my home studio which has been played by me seldom, but I hope to get into it soon enough.  Fun topic.

Before this industry I played guitar and toured in punk bands for 10 years and waited tables. I was finally done and looking for something else and a buddy of mine( cam op) asked me if I wanted to try sound for tv.

In that time, I picked up drums. There is almost nothing more freeing than losing yourself and beating on the kit. Damn, time to soundproof the basement and take out a beat up old Rogers

Craig Dollinger - booms almost exclusively for Steve Morrow and Dave Kirschner was a professional drummer in the early 90s

His bands were "Tomorrow's Child" (glam hair band - very funny pictures) and "Engines of Aggression" (industrial metal).

He still carries that rock 'n' roll mentality.  But married with children leaves him without sex or drugs!

He is a good boom guy that people love to have on set.

Robert

Wow. Many more drummers than I would of guessed. For many years as my wife and I raised the boys, I never played drums because there was no time and no drums. In 2000 I finished rebuilding my garage and the studio above it. The main idea was it was my editing bay/man cave more than music recording studio. Case, my oldest is a multi instrumentalist and was studying music recording at Fullerton College when I decided to get a ProTools rig and learn that as well. As I got into it, I reintroduced myself to the drums and started playing again. Now I have come full circle and playing drums and jamming and producing music is my addiction and hobby. Learning FCP and PT has been a big help to me both personally and professionally. I create media and music for fun and a few bucks and use the these tools in my real job as well.

Q and roundbadge make me jealous with their nice kits. I have been looking for a vintage set or pieces for some time now. Someday.

CrewC

BTW, before anyone becomes a drummer, be forewarned that you will be tapping out beats forever to the annoyance of those around you.

How right you are JB.  I am a big fan of Paradiddles.

One of the other benefits for me of playing music again is how much I have learned micing and recording not only drums, but all the instruments and mixing the songs in my studio. Very educational and fun at the same time. It has made me rethink all I took for granted in my film centric universe. Still do most of my film work the same way, but not all of it.

This weekend Case is recording a high school punk band that is most likely like his band was back then. Again, the wheel goes around in circles.

CrewC

In the eighties I was waiting for a table at a restaurant and who should sit down beside me but Buddy Rich.  After telling him of my great admiration for his talents I had to ask him if the story was true.  While awaiting my answer I heard, "Rich party of three..." Mr. Rich rose and put his hand on my shoulder and said, "Now who would do a thing like that?" and smiled a knowing smile.

RVD

I love to hear of amazing celebrity encounters.  I'm starting a thread!!

Robert

Crew, I haven't played in a couple of years now. Been sitting behind a front of house console instead . But started when I was in junior high. My first set was a Sears set. Dad worked for Sears and came home one day with em. My second set , a gold sparkle Slingerland set was purchased from the drummer of Little David and the Giants if anybody knows who they are. Last set I owned was a pre CBS Rogers , twin kick , twin rack and twin floor toms set ... great sounding kit. wish I still had it , the only pieces I have is my first Ludwig concert snare and a custom snare given to me by Larrie London . Love playing the horn band thing .

MikePsanos

Thanks John, Marco's insane indeed. No wonder my dad loved 'Big Bands' and drummers like Krupa. Sad to see as well as a turn on. I will never be that good, but I got to see someone who is that great. As Andy said, "tasteful and great". I take it he was one of your students.....

CrewC

Crew, The FOH gig is an non glamorous church gig, 56 input Sunday. I used to play the worship band till we needed a sound guy replacement. I miss playing that twice a month Sunday. As an engineer in Nashville back some 20 + years back, the most inspiring player I worked with and learned from was drummer, Kenny Malone. 

Mike