How to attach a transmitter to Football or Hockey players

stacysound

I'd like to hear how you guys attach a transmitter to an athlete so that it WILL NOT come off. i.e. Hockey or Football players that take severe hits and falls. I don't know if there are any sound brothers from NFL Films here...

Just curious in my off time... Thanks!

Guest BobD

Go to a sporting store and buy a neoprene back support belt, @7 or 8 inches wide.... With a velcro closure...  use a regular waist strap, with a pouch for the transmitter, then go over it with this large belt.  It will hold it in place, protect it, and not let it slide around.....  You can use it without the regular waistband as well if you wish...

Done it with many of the beautiful NZ women Black Ferns netball team.

Body belt, maybe a low profile B6 inside the garment.

Place transmitter to side of body so in the event of a fall back or kidneys are not bruised

Mike

• 2 months later...

Stacy, this may be too late for you...

On a football film i did years ago i had a lot of luck placing the mic and transmitter on the shoulder pads between the pad that goes against the player and the hard shell.  I put the transmitter on the back and ran the mic cable along the inside pad.  I never had any complaints or damages to equipment or talent.  the great part was being able to have the  the whole thing wired before the talent put it on.

• 5 years later...

An old thread, but here is how I wired up hockey pads for a couple of major junior hockey players.

I only had one issue with a transmitter coming loose during a game (10 or so games total). The player got hit very hard and landed on his back. He says the transmitter (SMV) didn't hurt him at all, but it came loose and was dangling but thankfully didn't come completely off. I grabbed him during the 1st intermission and fixed it up.

post-133-0-01580000-1423017435_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

Actually, I had 2 players wired for all of those games plus a referee and a coach :)

A friend who did a similar setup for the NHL said they had mics and transmitters get trashed a few times, and he suggested waterproof lavs (B3 specifically) but my COS-11s had no problems. Of course, the NHL is the big leagues and whole different beast.

That's really cool Jason! Thanks for sharing. It's always a bit dicey putting tx's on such active subjects. 1 mishap in 10 games is not bad : )

~tt