744t dither recording at 16 bit

greg sextro

The 744T's ADC's are always running at 24-bit, regardless of the user's choice of bit depth.  If the dither is off, the 744T will truncate eight bits off of the 24-bit depth; if the dither is on, it will use an algorithm to reduce from 24-bit to 16-bit.  I would rather use the dither setting rather than lose the last 8-bits of the signal; for some reason, I trust that it will do a better job with the peaks.

Tim

Hi there,

Dithering is one of the things I still have to add to Boom Recorder. But I already did some research on this topic.

Dither means adding white noise to the audio signal, so that the least significant bit of the 16 bit signal will twiddle, after adding this noise the 24-bits are truncated to 16-bits. Basically you are trading in distortion for a higher noise floor. And everyone agrees the distortion sounds worse.

But if your noise floor (or even room tone) is already above this least significant bit of the 16 bit signal you do not have to add dithering noise on top of this.

Cheers,

Take