The Soundmen - a doc from 1950 made by AMPAS

Jim Gilchrist

Yeah, this video answered a question I always wondered about: it seems like while a 1940s-1950s era sound mixer was actually on the set, but the actual recorder was hundreds of feet away, an optical-sound camera in a separate building. Amazing that the system actually worked.

--Marc W.

Terriffic!  I can't get enough of that old industry history stuff.  Notice under the Variety headline, a sub-artcile calls sound a "fad".  Also, the way the pattern of those old RCA mic on booms meant that they flattened toward speaker and not pointed at them. 

I have a bunch of old sound stuff too that I need to post online.  My funniest one shows a wireless transmitter being "hidden" under clothing that must be 12" long, 6 inches wide and 2 inches deep....it could only fit in the small of the back.  My favorite is the one on building the Wall of Sound, by Walter Murch on Apocolype Now.

I need to add to this thread...

PBS American Masters (various times, most markets) is re-running a pair shows right now about Warner Brothers...

Their part (major) in the introduction and evolution of sound - for - film is nicely covered in Part 1.

Check your local listings, or perhaps the website --

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/episodes/warner-bros/video-from-the-silent-era-to-franchise-films/468/

Michael Filosa, CAS

Atlanta

Thanks Jim (and Ty)[and Mike]. This couldn't have come at a better time, since I had never heard of these films!

I am starting production for my thesis documentary about the history of film production sound this weekend. Mine will focus from the "talkies" to today's digital age.

These films will certainly help a great deal during post. Thank you guys!

Best,

Omar Milano

I remember seeing a thread a while back that discussed the preferences of mixers whether their meters moved horizontally or vertically. Notice in the scene with the re-recording mixers the (ahead of its time?) series of horizontal lights to indicate level, as well as the typical meter. Surprised me to see this. As an aside, my dad built a Heathkit reel to reel recorder back in the '60's that had flouroscope meters. Guess it planted an early bug in me to do something with sound.

Interesting find... thanks,

Greg