Mix 12 question - external slate mic?

Izen Ears

Apologies if this has been covered before but hey - to all you mix 12 users out there: is there any way to route an external mic to the 'slate' or 'talk' buttons?

Looks like you can do everything else with this device except use an external slate mic.  I could use up an input, but there's still no way to get a mic that can easily be used for both public and private lines.  Am I wrong here?

Dan Izen

Yes thank you John, I know that it's just that it's the weekend and can't call my Zax buddy Brijen and ask him.  Plus if it's something obvious I don't want to bother him.  I posted because I know many of you out there use the mix 12, just wondering if it's something that I missed in that cryptic-ass manual.

So what do you mix 12 users do about the private/public lines, use the onboard Deva slate mic?  Really?

Dan Izen

P.S.  I have to swap this unit out with my Cameo on Monday and be ready for shooting call 1 hour after call time!

" I have to swap this unit out... "

have to, or want to??

" Plus if it's something obvious I don't want to bother him.  "

we don't mind, and neither would he...

and look where the answer came from...

" use the onboard Deva slate mic?"

sure, it works fine

Really? "

really!

Oh come on Senator!  That onboard mic sounds terrible compared to the AT 4053a I've been using, there's way too much background and you gotta talk right into it to hear anything.  Plus I do a lot of whispering during takes on the PL to the booms and using the Deva onboard slate mic would mean I'd have to stand up and lean forward to put my mouth right up to it to hurriedly whisper "pole's dangerous" or "come up 2 inches."  Not practical in any sense dude!

I CAN use that camera return as a slate mic, I totally forgot about that, doh!  I do have a p48 + Shure FP12 that can make the mic line level so that would actually work great, just an extra cable - that is brilliant!  (I brought the Deva home and just hooked up this system and it works great.)

NOW I'm ready to swap the mixer out, thanks so much GT for the very practical, non-mocking answer to my question.  Thank you JW for the forum, I woulda felt like a schmoe for calling Brijen and asking him this question.

Dan Izen

P.S. Senator - you stay one akamai buggah no change nah-ting!

Trew came up with a mod for the Deva which adds a jack for an external slate mike. It's not for the Mix-12 per se, but could be used with any recent Deva/Fusion recorder. I agree with Dan: I much prefer using a headset mike for slating, just to cut down on the ambient noise (and doing quieter slates).

I believe Zaxcom also has a factory mod for the same thing, along with the new brighter screen update. I think both mods can be done by local authorized Deva service people, and you don't have to send it back to the factory in New Jersey.

Update: I'm told that Ed Novick was the person who first requested the Deva external slate mic mod, so credit goes to him for the idea.

--Marc W.

We are requesting that any customer in the US that wants a screen update send it in to us at Zaxcom. We will put in the new screen update the software and make sure all hardware mods are installed. If the external slate connector is needed we can install that as well. Turn around time is about 2 business days.

Glenn

The headset mics are great, but I don't like wearing headsets all the time.  I often monitor the set between setups with a speaker, and like to be able to talk into the slate mic without leaning in to the mic on the headset.  It's also handy if the utility person needs to speak to the boom op if I am up at crafty or in the bathroom.  He can just press the button and speak.

My slate mic is a $1.99 line-level lav powered from a 9v battery.  It plugs into the line-in on my Mackie's last fader.  Sound really good, has decent pick-up when I am leaning back in the chair, and is nice when I can lean in to whisper during takes.

I use a headset mic w my mix 12.  Here's a clunky way to eliminate the need for external mic to line booster... I put the headset mic into ch8 of my deva where it gets power and the boost to line level.  Then route ch8, prefader to analogue ch6 out (do not assign it to a record channel).  Then plug analogue out 6 to camera return in and you can get rid of the external box to boost the signal.  This all assumes you can live w/o ch8 in and analogue out 6 most of the time... works great for me.

Scott Clements

A Shure WS 20 mounted to the left earpiece. That goes to a custom unit I built that has PL out on a momentary toggle switch, also feeds the mixer through a $12 Radio Shack pre amp that boosts from mic to line level through another momentary toggle switch for slating. Being a line level signal it allows the line level input to be open w/o adding any extra mixer preamp noise. As an added feature I can also monitor both source and return on the unit through another momentary switch. It ain't pretty but it works great. If you look close at the picture of me, you can just about see the mic on the HP's.

Eric

Trew came up with a mod for the Deva which adds a jack for an external slate mike. It's not for the Mix-12 per se, but could be used with any recent Deva/Fusion recorder. I agree with Dan: I much prefer using a headset mike for slating, just to cut down on the ambient noise (and doing quieter slates).

I believe Zaxcom also has a factory mod for the same thing, along with the new brighter screen update. I think both mods can be done by local authorized Deva service people, and you don't have to send it back to the factory in New Jersey.

Update: I'm told that Ed Novick was the person who first requested the Deva external slate mic mod, so credit goes to him for the idea.

--Marc W.

The external slate mic mod we do for the Deva 4/5/16/Fusion will work with the Mix 12.

Glen Trew