IATSE...Local 52...More Info?

marque

I've been having more people ask me about IATSE membership lately.  Generally in NY from most people I've spoke to it tends to be more limiting than helping since 90% of the work is non-union.  While the jobs may not be as good, or as well paying they are almost always available.  I decided that I would at least look into joining which here means the local 52.  I asked for more information as to requirements, limits, benefits, etc. and all I got was where to send the application and how much it would cost plus that I would have to take my craft test.  Is there anyone here that could provide more in depth details?  I'm trying to find out frequency of work, what is involved in the craft test, do I really need the certificate of training to operate an aerial work platform if I'm doing sound and if so does my flight training with the Army cover this (I was a UH60 aka Blackhawk pilot), etc.

Thanx,

Marque

Guest tourtelot

Your problem will be, if things remain as they did when I finally join, will be attaining membership.  It is still one of the hardest IA locals to gain membership in.  Took me ten years(!) in the 80s.

I've been having more people ask me about IATSE membership lately.  Generally in NY from most people I've spoke to it tends to be more limiting than helping since 90% of the work is non-union.

In the mid nineties, that was true.  It was the age of independent cinema, timed with a lot of labor issues with the union.  Those days, however, are long gone.  90% non union?!?  That seems absurd to me, and while I've not paid much attention to the non-union world for some time, I have lived and worked here for the better part of fifteen years.  I don't know how much work is there in the non-union world at the moment -- the few contacts I still have from that neck of the woods seem mostly to be doing reality work these days.  In this day and age a picture with as low a budget as $700,000 can be a union show, whereas ten years ago there might have been a $4M movie in New York that the unions didn't want any part of.  I can't imagine that the non-union feature world has a lot to offer any more.  On the other hand, if you're into reality and ENG, the bulk of that work *is* probably still outside of IATSE (though the union has made a point in recent years of insisting the EPK crews are members of the local).

Is there anyone here that could provide more in depth details?  I'm trying to find out frequency of work, what is involved in the craft test, do I really need the certificate of training to operate an aerial work platform if I'm doing sound and if so does my flight training with the Army cover this (I was a UH60 aka Blackhawk pilot), etc.

Frequency of work doesn't really have so much to do with the union -- it has to do, like anything else in this business, with your skill level, your resume, your contacts, so on and so forth.  The craft test for sound is a written, essay-style test and I don't think you'll find it terribly challenging.  Unfortunately, we all have to take that ridiculous aerial work platform test -- a bit silly for us sound people, granted, but they made that an across-the-board rule a few years back.  Not really a big deal, it only takes a few hours.

Good luck!

Regards,

Noah Timan

Unfortunately, we all have to take that ridiculous aerial work platform test -- a bit silly for us sound people, granted, but they made that an across-the-board rule a few years back.  Not really a big deal, it only takes a few hours.

Hello Noah,

Could you explain exactly what that is? I am not in a union but have been on many large production, non-union sets, and have no clue as to what that means! Is it a saftey rigging test if you find yourself working on some raised platform? Thanks

Could you explain exactly what that is? I am not in a union but have been on many large production, non-union sets, and have no clue as to what that means! Is it a saftey rigging test if you find yourself working on some raised platform? Thanks

It's not strictly a test but a course.  They teach you how to drive and operate a genie lift and other aerial work lifts safely.  I can't remember exactly but I believe there is a test at the end of the course.  If memory serves it is not at all complicated and I've never heard of anyone failing.  It is something that as members of the sound department that we will almost never need, and it is perhaps even more silly that property department applicants also have to take the course. However, since sound and property share a union with grip and electric, and safe operation of those lifts is critical to their work and health, it was established that all new applicants to the union in any craft have to take the course.  I think it costs $90 and takes about four hours.  No big deal.

Regards,

Noah Timan