Gunfire, lots of it!

Bartek

Hi there.

I am about to undertake a indie action feature film. The script calls for intense gunfire scenes, were talking most of the second half of the script, with a wide veriety of wapons (handguns, rifles, shotguns, etc.) The director is also determined to use full loads for asthetic reasons.

I've dealt with gunfire in the past, but never on this scale. A dynamic mic such as the RE 50 or a Sennheiser 825s would do the trick, and I made sure that whenever possible dialog was separated from live fire, or in a worst case scenario wild lines were done.

What is the big budget approach to the above problem. And what are the expectations. I considered getting inexpensive mics such the Rode nt-1 for the exteriors and an Octava to simulate my Schoeps indors, but I'm not too sure now, will they take the beating?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bartek

For the close up efx use the dynamics. An EV 635 omni can be your best friend for high spl shots. You can use the condensers at a distance and put them on a seperate track for mixing in later. A stereo mic will give you a great perspective that can be beefed up with cu sfx.

Eric

What is the big budget approach to the above problem. And what are the expectations. I considered getting inexpensive mics such the Rode nt-1 for the exteriors and an Octava to simulate my Schoeps indors, but I'm not too sure now, will they take the beating?

I use the Oktava when guns are blazing.  It does fine.

nvt