8MM Recording Framerate?

ptalsky

Which 8mm?

8mm FILM:  the standard was more or less 18 fps (Super 8) , after a long period of it being 16 fps (Regular 8mm), although the fancier cameras (Bolex H8, higher end Nizo, Beaulieu, Nikon and Canon Super 8s) could shoot @ 24 fps.  The speed was very inconsistent except in the case of xtal-controlled Beaulieu and Nizos--much too inconsistent for reliable sync sound.  (Found this out the hard way.)

8mm/Hi8 VIDEO: like any other standard def video, the nominal frame rate is 30 (ie 29.97 fps), and the clocks are only semi accurate, but good enough for double system sync (I did a lot of low-budg doco stuff w/ Hi8 cams and Nagra TC, as well as DATs and even multitrack analog w/ TC).  Clap or bloop light eveything for sync, no TC to speak of.  We used TC slates as though it was a film shoot (for concerts, events).

Philip Perkins

Hi Philip,

Sorry I wasn't clearer.  It is 8MM film (as far as I know at this point, not Super 8MM). 

So, we will slate every take.  Looks like the dialog takes will be very short (1-2 lines max) with the other takes strictly capturing ambient sounds.  Will running at 29.97ND be a problem?

Thanks again!

Hi Philip,

Sorry I wasn't clearer.  It is 8MM film (as far as I know at this point, not Super 8MM). 

So, we will slate every take.  Looks like the dialog takes will be very short (1-2 lines max) with the other takes strictly capturing ambient sounds.  Will running at 29.97ND be a problem?

Thanks again!

No, the problem will be that if it is really a standard 8mm camera it is very likely a spring drive camera (Bolex etc), and thus wildly inaccurate speed wise, both in terms of what the nominal frame rate really is and how much it varies from that rate while running.  (Bolex cameras have an FPS dial that is continuously variable, so you never know where you are exactly speed wise.  Not a problem for exposure--huge problem for sync sound.)  There is a good chance that even 1-2 lines may not sync properly with such a camera.  There WERE a few electric drive reg. 8mm cams (Leicina etc) but they were only marginally more accurate, and are VERY rare.  There were some sync motors for the H-series Bolexes, but I never used one on my H8 (they were made for the 16mm cameras).  Tobin Cine may still have some.  I hope for your sake that they are really talking about Super 8mm, in which case there is some hope of syncing the sound.

Philip Perkins

aside from the frame-rate, keep another thing in the back of your mind up to the shoot. 

CAMERA NOISE.

I'm yet to see a 8mm Film camera that wasn't extremely noisy, and pretty well unsuitable for dialog.  Then again, I'm relatively new to the whole sound recording thing (5yrs), and I work on the other side of the world.

anyhoo, have fun, as Scott says, it does have an amazing look.

Ian

aside from the frame-rate, keep another thing in the back of your mind up to the shoot. 

CAMERA NOISE.

I'm yet to see a 8mm Film camera that wasn't extremely noisy, and pretty well unsuitable for dialog.  Then again, I'm relatively new to the whole sound recording thing (5yrs), and I work on the other side of the world.

anyhoo, have fun, as Scott says, it does have an amazing look.

Ian

We did sync sound w/ Bolexes (16mm) and Super 8 cameras--you just have to barney them with whatever you have

available.  Close up whispering scenes will be a problem.

Philip Perkins

Thank you all for the feedback and pointers.  Unfortunately the job fell through, but (probably also unfortunately) as I did my research, I decided to buy a super 8mm camera, some film and go shoot something.  ;-)  (Actually, already have a project in mind...a quirky little short).

So, thank you, and <sarcasm>Thanks a lot!</sarcasm>

Phil