File Transfer Issues

Using a Macbook Pro that, of late, has started to have problems when transferring files to and from various drives.  Frequently, a message will appear that says a file is in use.  Then, when I hit okay, the progress bar won't go away even after hitting the "x," the drives can't be ejected, the Finder can't be quit and the computer can't be restarted except by manually shutting off by holding down the power button.  Then, it takes several tries (plugging and unplugging) for the drives to be recognized even after repeated computer reboots.  I use MacJanitor and have repaired permissions several times.  I even completely re-installed the operating system (10.5.8).  Help!

A.

it sounds like your primary drive is beginning to fail.

A couple things to try - you will need to format your drive again and do a complete wipe of the drive - as in writing zeros to the whole disk. It will take a long time to format depending on the size of the drive, but in theory, could help to fix over the sectors of the drive that are bad.

When you reinstall everything, do NOT restore from a backup - you will put the problem right back on the drive. Instead, reinstall everything one by one - and then bring your files for the programs over manually.

If not, replace the drive before you end up in a world of hurt when it dies on you. These are the early warning signs of a failing hard drive!!!

~Thomas Popp

Popp Sound

I can try re-installing the operating system of the computer again but I don't remember an option to write zeros.  Also, if it's a hardware problem, how could I "put the problem" on the drive?

A.

it sounds like your primary drive is beginning to fail.

A couple things to try - you will need to format your drive again and do a complete wipe of the drive - as in writing zeros to the whole disk. It will take a long time to format depending on the size of the drive, but in theory, could help to fix over the sectors of the drive that are bad.

When you reinstall everything, do NOT restore from a backup - you will put the problem right back on the drive. Instead, reinstall everything one by one - and then bring your files for the programs over manually.

If not, replace the drive before you end up in a world of hurt when it dies on you. These are the early warning signs of a failing hard drive!!!

~Thomas Popp

Popp Sound

Use Apple's Disk Utility to repair permissions and repair the disk.  Then, reboot the computer and run those again.  Pay attention to what Disk Utility does.  If it is a failing hard drive, the same repairs will be done over and over, and they will never get fixed.

I would agree on starting with Disk Utility. For your internal drive, Disk Utility will also show SMART status, which is an occasionally useful predictor of hardware failure.

You can also try the various diskutil commands in terminal, which sometimes give more information than the Disk Utility software.

When you lose patience and need a break, open terminal and type:

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

interesting timing...

I have been setting up a lab with 32 brand new iMac's, and having to do a bit of disc copying...

I have been getting those 'cannot eject, device in use' messages frequently, on numerous machines and drives (all brand new!!)

of course it couldn't be any sort of problem with either the Apple hardware or Mac OS, could it??

interesting timing...

I have been setting up a lab with 32 brand new iMac's, and having to do a bit of disc copying...

I have been getting those 'cannot eject, device in use' messages frequently, on numerous machines and drives (all brand new!!)

of course it couldn't be any sort of problem with either the Apple hardware or Mac OS, could it??

Contact the ..........

My experience is that usually this means the Firewire bus has crashed or is at least momentarily confused.

What usually gets this working again for me is to just yank the Firewire cable out on one of the drives. (I would avoid doing so with a drive whose lights are flashing.)

I have never, ever had a problem where I couldn't get the drive back once I did this. Generally what happens is, the computer pauses for a moment, then all the Firewire devices pop up fine. I re-attach the drive I just disconnected, and all is well. I think the reality is that the Firewire bus is fragile -- though no better and no worse than USB2 -- and s*** happens.

Another trick I use: if I have to copy large numbers of files under Mac OSX, I try to use <b>Super Duper</b> . It's a terrific utility, and well worth the money ($28).

--Marc W.