Utility/Mixers

RPSharman

" If we force them all to become Y1's, "

ok, one more pitch for my idea:

if you move into a higher classification, you make work in any classification that is equal or lower...

I do see: " Turning a blind eye to Y7a's and Y8's mixing from time to time may benefit all of us by keeping the pool of superb Y7a and Y8's satisfied.   " and of course provides them with the experience they need to upgrade. " Y-7A's are working out of classification if they are mixing the second unit of a show.  They are taking the jobs away from a mixer who is available and has dedicated himself or herself to be available for mixing jobs. "  perhaps the compromise that ought to be spelled out is that a regular member of a sound crew may upgrade on that show a certain % of the time--(let's say no more than 5 days out of any 30 working days, which may, or may not be a generous starting point)...

and of course non-IA work is 'the open range'!!

If, the Local's president: " ...is also guilty of allowing this behavior.  His utility frequently mixes second unit and then returns to work as his utility and also mixes his own shows and returns to work as Mark's utility.  So if our own president isn't going to abide by the rules then why should anyone else?  " and in the past several BOD's have repeatedly done the same, then certainly: " The Local rules are outdated, but I think they know that too, that's why they don't enforce them all that strictly. "

sorry, it is worse than that, the leadership has to lead by example, and rather than ignore the rules, they need to update them. What really sucks is when the elite have their own rules, different from the dues paying peons ...

This costs me work.  "  What work?? it costs you work the way the situation currently is, doesn't it...??

" It's a discussion group not an equipment forum.  But that's all I am going to do from now on.  It's obvious that the "General Discussion" portion of this site simply gets people in trouble with people who disagree with their opinions, and misinterpret their intentions. "

OK, this is my territory!  it is a discussion group, it not a homework service!!  this is another great discussion, so please do not shy away...

Hey Robert, soon your picture will start and you won't have much time for posting, but please don't edit/censure your thoughts and opinions. That is what this group is about. I personally refrained from adding to this thread because it doesn't pertain to the commercial world I work in directly. Or do they? My opinion of this practice is two pronged. I think it is good for the sound team to be flexible and provide the project at hand what it needs to get it done, for who knows better than the team any shows quirks. This is also a great way for the team to stretch and grow their skills. I was only a 3rd with Jeff n Don, but the experience called on me to do many things that the 'Rules' may not of covered, but what we needed to do to get the shot/scene/day done. I learned much and we did good work. That kind of flexibility is needed IMO.

The 'Rules'.... Most likely need to be revisited to reflect the modern work environment's we find ourselves toiling in. They don't seem to cover all our needs. I know that if RVD n I had followed the 'Rules' we would not of gotten into the union as we did it. I also find it kind of chicken shit for people to post opinions to others in email and phone calls when it is about a subject started here @jwsound. If it started here we should finish it here, but then again this is just my opinion. Good luck on your project.

CrewC