Bag Reconfiguring any suggestion? Picture with post

ProSound

Here is my current situation: I need to put 7 lectro rx 442/ 302 zaxcom link and comtek tx in a bag. It is all in a petrol 2 bag right now I haven't started wiring the bag yet and wanted to see if any of you had a better suggestions on how to configure the bag before I start putting my cabling in it.  Thanks

I use 201's and 401's (not sure if the 211/411 fits), and I like to put my receivers on the outside of the bag via the Petrol wireless "pouches"  You can stack 2 together and clear up a lot of space on the inside.

I am considering doing that but don't like having all my stuff hanging on the outside of the bag. I prefer it to all be inside the bag to protect it.

I am 27 so you would be correct about it being a young mans sport. I am able to sit about 90 percent of the time but that other 10 percent of the time is pretty bad. I won't carry anything like this if i wasn't getting paid for the gear rental too.

Yah, what does that work out to about 2 bazillion a day? Lol

I would try to not let the rig sprout so far outward from your body if you can at all--it's that sort of leverage that really tires you and leads to back issues.  A wider arrangement, maybe with the RX on the left and right and the mixers in the center might work, and I think Petrol sells the pouches to do that w/ yr bag.  With all these wirelesses my guess is that you are working some reality type shows, so long days in whatever rig you come up with.  I had a rig like yours for some years--not so many wireless but a recorder (Nagra then DAT then NL) that made it that deep.  When I contrived a way to shrink its depth my aged bones were much happier about run 'n gun....  I'm hoping you already have a Versaflex or etc type harness and aren't trying to  wear this thing "guitar style"...

Philip Perkins

The other thing I'd say is that in the config in your picture you are kind of "fenced off" from your 302 as far as quick level adjustments go.  If you like this sort of config (3-layer) then maybe swap the 302 down to right in front of you, w/ the 442 in the middle and the RX on top?   Also--have you considered moving your hop TX away from your RX?  It might give you better range w/ the RX, at least in some blocks.  (Like in a side-pouch.)

Philip Perkins

No offense to you, a young man, but this helps remind me why I turn these jobs down.  I grumble having to carry 2 receivers, a Comtek transmitter, my 302 and my 744T.  See the picture!!  I'm not very good at the configuration or the carrying.  I used the strap that came with the bag to park the gear when not in use or when we were stationary.  Then I clipped it onto the harness when we were on the move.  The Powerstation served as a low center of gravity weight as well as powering the 302 and 744T (charging too).  The 411 ran on iPowers.  I do not have a NP1 system, and DON'T WANT ONE.  It means I'll have to do this more!

The advice to have the 302 and the 442 together and closer to you is good.  Not only for convenience sake, but these weigh more and are better to be close to your body.  I like the idea of the Rx being sideways because it would be easier for me to remember the assignments (1-7 left to right as apposed to up/down/up/down).  Have the hop and the Comtek Tx in one of their outside holders, either on the vest or on the bag, to maintain separation, even if you are on distant blocks.

Have fun!

Robert

post-485-130815082318_thumb.jpg

I have done many jobs like this so I am well aware of what I am getting into. This is the part of the business I am in. Before the economy took a dump I use to do about 50 percent reality 30 percent network news, 15 percent corporate video and about 5 percent indy film. In the last 20 months 95 percent reality tv 5 percent corporate. I am happy to be working and earning a fair wage but I much preferred my days with my 302 2 wireless and a boom doing news at my NABET rate. Hopefully when the economy improves I can do less reality tv but until then I will spend 6 weeks lugging this beast of a bag around and will be happy to do it. 

Yikes, most I've ever carried is 4 wireless or 3 wireless and a boom.

I like the idea of turning the receivers sideways and keeping them in a row.  And, this may be a good application of the 788 with cl8?  I know times are tough.  Work has been slow here too.  But can you rent/borrow/steal one of those?

I'm sure you'll get it sorted out.  But, be careful out there with all that weight.  All it takes is one misplaced step off a curb or into a depression in the ground and you can wreck your back.  I was much younger than you are now when I first hurt my back and the problems have been with me for over 25 years.

Good luck with the job.

Q,

This company has Zero interest in a ISO recording (I  have tried to sell them on a Deva then a 788T). They want everything mixed down to camera. I would buy a fusion in a second if I could.  Attached is the new picture much better and at a weight of 26 lbs very manageable. Some days I won't need all 7 channels only 4 so I decided to use both my BDS units so I can turn off half the bag I will be using it  6days next week so we will see.

Looks good.  More manageable for sure.

Just for the record, nobody is criticizing your taking this job.  It's a big portion of the business, and I for one am very impressed with the work that so many of you do.  I simply couldn't do it, which I think is a more accurate statement than me not wanting to do it.

Hope it goes well.

Robert

I had a similar working situation recently, the initial rig was x5 with 5 wireless and boom (had to patch).  I wasn't the sound sup so I had no say..  After the first week they were crapping themselves when they realized that 5 stupid girls all talking on top of each other makes for a pretty useless 2 channel mix.  

The scene that broke the camels back was in a bowling alley with all 5 cast in "reality mode", that is unscripted, random, lets just see what they do naturally mode.  2 cameras and just myself with the above kit..  needless to say it wasn't pretty.  Looking back on it I should have just boomed from the A cameras perspective.  The end result could have convinced the production to just hire another mixer.

Instead they chose to rent Deva's and from there on out we tracked the piss out of everything.  Post was still unhappy because it doubled their workload.  Maybe tripled since they seem to have never heard of double system before (compounded by hvx200 drifting)...

Sorry for rant.. just struck a nerve..

Best of luck with your show!

Post was still unhappy because it doubled their workload.  Maybe tripled since they seem to have never heard of double system before (compounded by hvx200 drifting)...

Sorry for rant.. just struck a nerve..

Post "having never heard of double system before" is unforgivable. If the job requires double system iso recording to be done properly then the post team should prepare for that (and not just assume they can do a little "sweetening" to the camera tracks. Post might be unhappy as well if the DP showed up and had "never heard" of lighting the set and the images were not useable.

Robert,

No offense taken at all and yes it is much better now though I have a support call into zaxcom I just got a new zaxcom hop with the sta 150 but in this bag it is causing two of my lectros to have full RF reading on the display no matter where I put it in the bag or how far away I place it from the bag. But when I put my older black zaxcom tx in the bag I have no RF spray on any of my units at all. Both units are set up  the exact same with RF Traps and on the same frequency.

Derek,

This company uses a very old version of AVID in there in house post facility and it cannot handle Polyphonic Wave File according to them. I attempted to sell them on a Hop to camera for dailies and backup and full deva or 788t iso on all talent. We often have many people talking over each other and it just sounds bad. But They say they are happy with what I provide so I will keep providing it.

at that weight, any little bit helps. I would suggest 1 BDS if possible and therefore 1 np. Manually switch off lectros. Just did a few days with 788 and 8 wires. Bag looked similar to yours. 1 np went about 2.5 hours. Im sure you know, put that thing down as much as possible, lean it on railings, camera tripods etc.

I was doing a long term job with the cantar, 8 wireless, ifb, guitar pedal and a few other items in back(probably about 35 lbs). After months of doing it, my ankle started aching. Season 2 came up and i passed it on to a buddy. After 3 months, he threw some discs in his back.

This company uses a very old version of AVID in their in-house post facility and it cannot handle Polyphonic Wave File according to them.

I would recommend Courtney's <b>BWF-O-Matic</b> or One-N's <b>BWF-Splitter</b>, which will convert Polyphonic files to Monophonic files, specifically for older Avid or FCP systems.

Clients who use old editing software drive us crazy in post. A lot of times, the EDL's they export for conforming are buggy, because their software is just so out of date. It's like trying to get parts for a 1991 Buick...

--Marc W.

...or wave agent

and I I'd go 788t just for the weight and the fact that it gets pretty close to a mixer. Ok, so there's no camera return but it works double duty should they need separation of talent...7-8 people being mixed down to two tracks is an art form, having the isolated backups might make you a hero later....and then sell it to them for the next season...so you make more money to pay for the acupuncture, chiropractor, massage and physio. ;)