Aluminum foil to prevent RF Bleed

ProSound

While configuring my new bag my new Zaxcom trx 900 with STA 150 and RF Trap is bleeding into two of my lectrosonics Block 21 receivers. The Zaxcom unit is on Block 24 on 25 mw power output. If I put my old black zaxcom tx in the bag zero bleed. Zaxcom couldn't offer any suggestions except to move it farther away in the bag. So I wrapped the zaxcom in Reynolds Aluminum foil and the problem went away. This seems like a good solution to me what does everyone think. Also one of the two lectrosonics units was just serviced earlier this year so I don't think it is a bad unit. The bleed on the units is just as bad no matter that frequency it is on.

I knew my hats could do more then keep the government out of my thoughts!

Make sure the shiny side is out, or else it doesn't work :-)

There is an MIT study that is worth reading though:

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/

ABSTRACT:

Among a fringe community of paranoids, aluminum helmets serve as the protective measure of choice against invasive radio signals. We investigate the efficacy of three aluminum helmet designs on a sample group of four individuals. Using a $250,000 network analyser, we find that although on average all helmets attenuate invasive radio frequencies in either directions (either emanating from an outside source, or emanating from the cranium of the subject), certain frequencies are in fact greatly amplified. These amplified frequencies coincide with radio bands reserved for government use according to the Federal Communication Commission (FCC). Statistical evidence suggests the use of helmets may in fact enhance the government's invasive abilities. We speculate that the government may in fact have started the helmet craze for this reason.

Very, very scary stuff :)

While configuring my new bag my new Zaxcom trx 900 with STA 150 and RF Trap is bleeding into two of my lectrosonics Block 21 receivers. The Zaxcom unit is on Block 24 on 25 mw power output. If I put my old black zaxcom tx in the bag zero bleed. Zaxcom couldn't offer any suggestions except to move it farther away in the bag. So I wrapped the zaxcom in Reynolds Aluminum foil and the problem went away. This seems like a good solution to me what does everyone think. Also one of the two lectrosonics units was just serviced earlier this year so I don't think it is a bad unit. The bleed on the units is just as bad no matter that frequency it is on.

If it works it works.  Just be careful of heat buildup inside the foil.  Bummer though--can't understand why one TX causes you problems and the other is fine on the same freqs?  Is one more powerful than the other?  Are you powering the TX off the same DC source as the RX getting the bleed?  It seems like the DC feeds are a way RF etc often get into components in a bag rig...

Philip Perkins

" I wrapped the zaxcom in Reynolds Aluminum foil and the problem went away...  what does everyone think. "

would cheaper aluminum foil work?? if so, would it work as well??

" --can't understand why one TX causes you problems and the other is fine on the same freqs?  "

maybe because they are different models??

In my current rig I wrapped the internal plastic board piece from my Portabrace RM-multi bag in tin foil and slid the piece back in its pocket.  I did this because my M72 comtek Tx was getting blown out of the water when the zaxcom (stereoline, black) was transmitting.  With the filter antennae clipped to the front most pocket It seemed to help(foil separating the zax tx and the comtek tx),  but I think the filter antennae is what really solved the problem.. 

With RF who knows, it's all trial and error.  I'd feel a little weird about showing up for a job with some of my gear wrapped in tin-foil in plain sight..  though you could go all-out and throw a cb radio in the bag, along with a police scanner and ditch your versaflex for some chicken wire and duct-tape.  But if it works..

;)

Yikes!  Scott, was this with a new model zax transmitter or old?  I have an older model (black case) and it definitely gets pretty hot, could it just be a burn mark? 

This had to be an older Zax unit --- they really did get so hot it was dangerous. I have been using the TRX900's now for a few years and they do not seem to get hot at all.

-  Jeff Wexler