Sanken COS Lavs: ditch 'em or fix 'em?

T_will

Ah the abuse!  I'm just gonna rip/tug/pull/stretch this tiny inanimate object off me like the indignant interviewees do on 60 minutes...because I can, and I look important doing it.

I've read that certain lavs cannot be refurbished (fixed) given types of enclosures (at the head).  Question: can Sankens be saved, and if so is it financially worth it?

It's clearly a wiring fault, buzz.  Twiddling cable connection at the head remedies problem, but only temporarily.

I've got two that I'm loathe to retire, I've rotated in a couple of new ones, but it seems like a waste?  Cut my losses?

"JWSOUND Knowledge base..Activate!"

Thanks, Toby

Check with Sanken.  Sennheiser has (or used to have) a program where you could send in an old lav to trade in for a new one.  It was expensive, but cheaper than a new one.

On a similar note, I sent in an SM which Lectrosonics told me had a badly corroded board (must have been many sweaty actors is all can think).  They offered to fix it for almost $600 or trade my broken one for a brand new SMa for $850.  Perhaps this is a common practice for manufacturers to offer a replacement at a discount.

Robert

Lav mics are a form of EXPENDABLE.  They are going to get damaged and the production on which the damage happens should pay for it.  Problems at the connector end can be fixed if you know what you are doing.  Problems at the head end are "career-enders"--the mic will never be reliable again.  Scavange the connector and move on.

Philip Perkins

Guest Ken Mantlo

Lav mics are a form of EXPENDABLE.  They are going to get damaged and the production on which the damage happens should pay for it.  Problems at the connector end can be fixed if you know what you are doing.  Problems at the head end are "career-enders"--the mic will never be reliable again.  Scavange the connector and move on.

Philip Perkins

X2

Plus24, the US Sanken distributor, used to have an exchange program but ended it recently.  I'm told it was terminated on Sanken's behest.

I think it was ill-advised on Sanken's part to end the program.  They obviously made money on the exchange since they charged an amount which basically just discounted for the accessories not being included.

It could be worth contacting them to see if it's been reinstated.

http://www.plus24.net/

John B.

• 1 month later...

Dang, Dan... squeeze the sides of the RM-11!

Of course, there's a difference between "defective" and "damaged". Replacing a microphone that was defective from the factory is something all manufacturers will do within the warranty period. But I think we can agree that a manufacturer should not be held responsible for replacing mics damaged or lost by someone else.

Sanken lavs (and some others) are offered in a "pigtail" version (no connector, no accessories) to accommodate replacing lost and damaged mics.

Glen Trew

I do squeeze the sides, but often it was still really tough to shove in there.  I think perhaps some Sticky Stuff around the sides made it tough.  To get them out I push them out by gently pressing the screen of the lav and the sides of the RM11.  It's getting them in that's the problem.

Come on don't tell me none of you out there haven't had this happen with regular use of the RM-11!  Also it was only 3 lavs that busted not 4.

Dan Izen

I do squeeze the sides, but often it was still really tough to shove in there.  I think perhaps some Sticky Stuff around the sides made it tough.

Dan Izen

I'm not a gorilla!  This is at least partially a design thing.

Dan Izen

Design thing of the Sticky Stuff  :-)

Come on don't tell me none of you out there haven't had this happen with regular use of the RM-11!  Also it was only 3 lavs that busted not 4.

I've also never had this problem.  Sounds like the culprit here was your use of the "sticky stuff", which maybe both wedged the mic into the mount at a greater diameter that the mount is designed to allow, and maybe also glued the element inside, making it tough to remove safely.

Try skipping the "sticky stuff" -- the RM-11 holds the lav just fine without any adhesive.

Ha ha thanks Noah I don't use the sticky stuff on the inside, just on the outside to fasten it to clothes.  Maybe some residue got inside and made it tough to shove in?  Sounds like a long shot.

I ended up working today so I didn't get a chance to call Sanken but I will tomorrow and I'll post what they say.  They'll probably say I'm a gorilla.

Dan Izen