Oktava

Arnold F.

Thanks to a kind friend, I have for some time enjoyed the use of a Schoeps MK4 to compliment my own MK41, but he needs it and it's going back to him this week.  I think I'm going to miss having a cardiod and I'm wondering if I should a) spend $600 on an MK4 capsule (that I can swap out with the MK41) or, B) spend $200 on an Oktava and have a 2nd, complete mic I can use as a plant when necessary.  The first option gets me the Schoeps quality (and I can add a 2nd pre-amp later).  The 2nd option gets me a full mic right away at a good price.  Any opinions?  (I'm leaning toward the 2nd option).

Arnold

Will most of the handling noise be taken care of by a high pass filter (which I'm already using in my location)?

AF

The Oktava will sound fine on some things.  The Schoeps sounds great on most things.  That 's what you are paying for.

I don't recommend the Oktava on a fishpole--very sensitive to handling noise. 

Philip Perkins

What I neglected to include is that I only have one Schoeps pre-amp (and cannot afford to get another at this time) so in order to use an MK4 if I buy one is to swap out the capsule every time (which I like to do as little as possible).  So, I can buy an MK4 and constantly swap or I can buy an Oktava and a) not have to constantly swap heads and, B) have another whole mic to use as a plant or 2nd boom (if rolling off the low end will take care of handling noise) or stunt mic.

AF

Will most of the handling noise be taken care of by a high pass filter (which I'm already using in my location)?

AF

In the final analysis only you can make the determination of which would serve you better in the long run.  It depends a lot on what your percentage of use is in each situation.  As you mentioned, the advantage of the Okatva route is that you would have a second mic.  Do you ever do any stereo?  If so, getting two Oktavas might be a good choice and give you more flexibility.  Also, look at getting an Oktava (or two) with a selection of capsules.

The Oktava cardioid capsule sounds reasonably close to a Schoeps MK41, however, the Oktava hypercardioid capsule is a bit duller sounding and doesn't match the Schoeps quite as well.  The Oktava cardioid has too wide a pattern for most boom use, IMHO, but there are times it can work.  With a touch of E.Q. in post, the hyper can match better.

Yes, the Oktava will have less handling noise with a high pass filter, just like the Schoeps has a great deal more handling noise without the CUT1. 

Generally, I can only tolerate using an Oktava over a Schoeps when I'm in a situation that might put the Schoeps in harm's way.  I consider the Oktava to be my Schoeps "stunt double."

The Oktava doesn't phantom power properly with a Lectro 200 series plug-on transmitter but the Schoeps does fine.  The Schoeps will have significantly less distortion with a 200 series plug-on after Lectro does a modification to it that adds a 500 ohm resistor into one of the leads.  Be advised that the modification lowers the input sensitivity of the transmitter by 3dB, IIRC.  I think the 400 series is designed this way, but contact Lectro to see where in their production runs they made this update.

Also, a Schoeps CMC6 will power from a wide range of phantom voltages, while the Oktava requires a full 48v. to perform properly.