Have you ever wished?

old school

Not to divert our perverted interest : ) in Roman Polanski and lose focus of that important subject, but have you ever wished you could of worked on a film, or recorded a scene from the past? I have always had these thoughts ever since I got into film school and worked in the 'Biz'. Any John Ford western makes me wish I was the Boom Man. I would loved to of been on the Warner lot and recorded 'Casablanca' or 'To Have and Have Not'. All the great Voices and Performances that have been captured by others that I wish had been mine to record. It would be tough to choose, but I will try to narrow it down to 3.

"The Searchers" would be #1 because of the talent involved and locations. An epic if ever there were one. John Wayne even gave a great performance. #2 'To Have and Have Not". Bogart n Bacall. "You know how to whistle...." come on, great stuff. "Casablanca" is almost the same thing. Even the same sets and many great lines and performances. This is a toss up for me, but I am trying for 3 pictures. #3 may seem like an odd choice, but for the challenge and tour de force performances, and the chance to work with a young Haskel Wexler, I would choose "Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf?". But I could just as easily swap # 3 with any Paul Newman movie. Silly thoughts as I sit in a mall recording an Xmas commercial wishing I were somewhere else in time.

CrewC

BTW, there are a few films Jeff worked on that I wished I had done. Oh well, I got a few of my own that are not to bad.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never had a chance to do a feature of any kind, so my wish is that someday I will be able to.  Lots of great experiences in my 32 years of working with sound in a variety of forms but never a film.

Its wonderful to hang out here with the rest of you who have, so if the opportunity ever comes.... At least I'll know who to ask if I need help.

Best,

Bernie

CrewC

BTW, there are a few films Jeff worked on that I wished I had done. Oh well, I got a few of my own that are not to bad.

Good topic ... I have had similar thoughts about films I never worked on, not so much about sound but the experience of working in ANY job on some of those movies from the past.

- and for the record, ANY film I have worked on I would have been thrilled to work with Crew...  I consider myself fortunate to have done the jobs we did do together

-  Jeff Wexler

Hey Crew, can I hijack the thread for a few moments?  Actually in the www world, even if you object, this will be posted before you can breathe a breath of objection!  Sorry about that! 

I have never done a movie, enjoy going to the small independent theatres to see them, not the big cineplexes and of course saw them growing up.  But for those of us who haven't had the privilege, what about the events we have seen and recorded?  I would give part of my anatomy to go back to Capetown the day Nelson Mandela was released from prison.  I was there, and wish I could have walked away from the news coverage and recorded the joy, the expression, the voices and noise of a people who for decades had been not allowed even the most basic of expression!  Can you hear a smile?  A joy?  I think I did that day!!!  Same for the last remnants of the Berlin Wall coming down.  I chartered out of NYC with a TV network anchor, got there and worked about three days straight without sleep just to document the event.  But to have come down off the anchor platform and walked among the joyous people of Germany as they celebrated the destruction of a wall of concrete they thought would stay there forever!  I wish I could be there again, to point my 416 in a different direction. 

Finally, I go with you on old movies.  But for me, THE DIRTY DOZEN!!!  Why, because a great cast, a great location and that final scene where Jim Brown throws those grenades down the vent pipes.  I just imagine the applause from the crew after the shot was done.  Who knows how many takes it took, but the final product sure seemed real to me, and that is the purpose of movies of old.  To take us away to a place and time where things we never imagined could be witnessed. 

Sorry...your day in a mall waiting for a Xmas spot to be finished.  For me listening to a woman describe her fight for health insurance and the medical needs of her children. 

Thanks for allowing me to hijack your thread...we now return Crew's thoughts to sound folks all over the world.

cleve

Hey Cleve, since it is all about a fantasy question anyway, why not events like you witnessed. Or other historic events. I would loved to have recorded Brother MLK, or Louis Armstrong, the Beatles on top of Apple Records for their last concert. Millions of events come to mind. I just think about films too much I suppose.

RVD, I love "The Wild Bunch" as well and almost listed it. Basically it could be so many combinations of movies. I'm just interested in what others think and why. BTW, I almost listed "A Touch of Evil" because I dig it so much, but it had too many nights in it. Even in fantasy I am selfish, but I did get to record Orson once.

CrewC

I remember watching "Heat" and thinking how cool it would have been just to be in the room for the restaurant scene between Pacino and DeNiro, their first ever appearance together on film, I think.

But more than that... Marlon Brando and Martin Sheen in the cave on "Apocalypse Now"

" Marlon Brando and Martin Sheen in the cave on "Apocalypse Now" "

IIRC, Mr. Sheen said they shot that scene separately...

I read Jerry Zeismer, the 1st AD's, wonderful book.  A large portion of this book was about "Apocalypse Now".  I do remember something about how this scene was shot very unconventionally.  Perhaps that was it.  But being there must have been a treat nonetheless.

Jerry Zeismer also asked Brando why he mumbled so much of his dialog.  Brando candidly told him that it was because it gave him the chance to try different performances when he looped the scene!

I am proud to say (well not really proud, maybe something more, like having gas) that I was there when Stallone utter the famous words, "Yo Adrian, I ditt it", (cue Eye of the Tiger music here). http://www.coffeyinteractive.com/phpbb2/gallery.php

Robert, let me borrow that book.  I worked with Zeismer a few times, in fact sometimes on the Rocky's. 

Robert, let me borrow that book.  I worked with Zeismer a few times, in fact sometimes on the Rocky's.  

Wish I had the book, John.  It was loaned to me by a 1st AD friend.  A truly wonderful read for anyone in the business.  Paperback seems readily available on Amazon. "Ready When You Are, Mr. Coppola, Mr. Spielberg, Mr. Crowe."

Robert

"The Magnificent Seven", "The Great Escape", and "Gunfight at the OK Corral", (the 57 version), were all directed by John Sturges. Now for me any of these films would of been fantastic to work on, but my favorite of all of Mr Sturges works is "Bad Day at Black Rock". I have worked in the same location many times and it is fantastic to shoot there. The story and cast are unreal. Spencer Tracy, Robert Ryan, Walter Brennan, Lee Marvin and others.  All of them in top form, as are the camera and sound in executing Sturges staging and directing. All work done on location. Please check it out someday. If I had a time machine, I might set it for this 1956 picture as well.

CrewC

Hey RVD, it is a silly topic really, just too many films one would want to work on. I don't often feel like, "I wish I worked on"... when I 1st see a movie. Seems to happen and relate to films I have seen many times. "Treasure of SM" is a favorite of mine and I would of loved to record that dialog as well as seeing the son direct his father. I was lucky to work w John Huston and see him direct his daughter. Learned much. I would of loved to have recorded him, say in "Chinatown". Great voice and sinister performance. He was the Noir in that darkest of stories. Definitely a all-star talent like Ford and Hawks, but I never saw them act so... There are many good film makers working today, but none I admire as much as the Coen Bro's. What they do and the way they have done it is outstanding IMO. Any of their movies would be great to work on, but if I had to choose just 1, I would choose "The Big Lebowski" just for the number of quotable lines it has generated. As far as musicals go, I wish I could of done "Wizard of Oz". Later.

CrewC

In a similar vein I would love to record the musician Cat Stevens speaking or better still singing. He has such a lovely voice. There's something very intimate about hearing a voice on 'cans'. That larger than life sound. I'd love to have worked on that documentary that was made about him a few years ago in which he seemed very natural and at home.

American Beauty. And it's nice to think that someone like RVD had  the opportunity. "The most Beautiful Thing" scene summarizes so much of what gives life deeper meaning. Life we miss if we aren't looking and listening. I've sat with my boys and told them that when I die, if they are looking for some answer to life, that scene is a good start, and if they want more, to have a look in my library for anything written by someone who's name they can't pronounce. I agree that there are very few movies made these days which have any lasting impression. Not that I don't mind a good bag of popcorn now and then, but really, aside from supporting an industry what are the bulk of the movies doing to grow our society as a whole? I'm probably expecting too much from an art-form which has evolved into big business. My hope is that as delivery technology learns to deal with copyright material and film-making  hardware drops in price, we will see hundreds of new inexpensively produced films, made by people from all over the world with something to say. And these films will make money for the people who work on them. Not always millions, but perhaps enough to justify the amount of effort it takes to make a movie. Maybe by some of us on this group. We are in a unique position, because we know how to record dialogue. No small feat. Now if I just had a good idea....

...My hope is that as delivery technology learns to deal with copyright material and film-making  hardware drops in price, we will see hundreds of new inexpensively produced films, made by people from all over the world with something to say. And these films will make money for the people who work on them. Not always millions, but perhaps enough to justify the amount of effort it takes to make a movie...

These movies ARE being made NOW.  To support them requires proactive support from those who want such fare to continue. 

Here in Indianapolis, the Heartland Film Festival exists to "...honor beautifully made films that celebrate the positive aspects of life...."

A quote from the web site:

"The Heartland Film Festival started in 1992 as a small event in Indianapolis and has expanded over time to become one of the fastest growing film festivals in the country. Today, the annual film festival is a ten-day event full of independent films, a variety of special events for film enthusiasts of all ages, and a one-of-a-kind experience in one of the Midwest's most inviting cities."

I'm proud to say, I've been an active volunteer for the HFF for 16 years now.

Unlike many who only give lip service to wanting quality films, the Heartland Film Festival believes in putting its money where its mouth is.  It offers the largest prize purse of any film festival in the world, currently $200,000 in cash prizes each year.

They also award the HFF seal to many films during the year -- both independent and studio releases alike.

Over the years the HFF has seen increasing support from Hollywood insiders.  Honorary board members Charles Champlin and Dick Cook, recent (now past) president of Walt Disney Pictures come to mind.

Some of these films show up at local Megaplexes but often don't stay long, so therefore those who want to support quality, need to stay aware and attend (and bring their friends) the first weekend.  These days, the first weekend usually determines the fate of a film.  Some of these show up at alternative theaters and the same support is needed.  Some are only released on video, but again, people vote with their purchasing power.

For every "Big, Fat, Greek Wedding" there are hundreds of films of similar and greater quality -- many with more depth and memorability.  It's a shame that most people will only support those if they become the latest "in thing."  So, to not seek these quality films out is another vote for more explosions, high body count, and talking toy movies to fill your local theater.

http://www.trulymovingpictures.org/FilmFestival/Pages/default.aspx

John B.

Thanks for the info John. Seems like a great thing for grass roots and DIY film making. I too believe there is talent out there making movies and music with the new tools. They are harder to find, but rewarding when found. Somewhere the next Ford, Hawks, Wells, Hitchcock are learning the craft.

CrewC