Lectrosonics SMQV: First Impressions

Chris Durfy

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello,  I have also recently purchased an SMQV that I use with my Venue system.  I haven't had it long enough to do a great battery life test, but in the field so far at 250mW I changed the battery at the same time as the other sma I had one time on about a ten hour day.

Matt wrote:  It is also great to be able to use the same antennas for the transmitter and receiver.  Haven't noticed a huge jump in range with the 250mW setting, either.

Matt,  From what I understand it is not designed for increased range necessarily.  It is really designed for increased stability in a crowded environment.  You may get slightly better range, I believe lectro says up to 48%, but if you are competing with someone else's signal, your 250mW will blow it away...

Techies please enlighten me if I'm mistaken. 

Happy Holidays

Charlie

"I've recently been using the SMQV's with an SR unit as my receiver in my bag.  I have had my COS-11's rewired for the servo bias standard.  I seem to be hearing some odd stuff in the high end.  Mainly during "SSS" sounds."

hi Matt,my SR5P also had this problem before,i used two MM400C with sr5p,i sent them back to lectro twice time then they fixed it,they only  told me they upgraded the firmware in the SR5P,and then i never had this problem again.This was almost 5month ago,the firmware i'm using in the sr5p is V1.3.  maybe u can try to contact lectro with this.

Cloud

Matt,

What else are you running in your bag?

I've heard a similar sound with my SMa/SMDa units and it was

interference from my ZAX transmitter hop.  Retuning fixed it.

(Lectros on 26, ZAX on 27.  Obviously, I try to keep them tuned far apart).

Also, I will concur with the more robust transmission of 250mw over the SAME

range, rather than greater DISTANCE.  In a walk test I have deliberatly

tuned 100mw to a freq that scanned with high RF noise.

At about 30" the 100mw was taking lots of hits (unusable) and in 250mw the same

walk was flawless.

Glen Piegari

__________________________________________________________________________________

I seem to be hearing some odd stuff in the high end.  Mainly during "SSS" sounds.  Not always, though.  Sometimes there is a slight white noise type of sound that is modulated with the dialog in the background.  This does not seem to change no matter where the noise reduction is set.  I had thought it might be the SmartNR kicking in and out, but I don't think that is it.  Granted, this is not overwhelmingly loud, but still kind of annoying.  I never heard this with my old 201's.  Anyone else had this problem?

-Matt

Somewhere in Nashville, TN, on another country music video.

I seem to be hearing some odd stuff in the high end.  Mainly during "SSS" sounds.  Not always, though.  Sometimes there is a slight white noise type of sound that is modulated with the dialog in the background.  "

the description fits RF getting into the mic.  newer mics (for example the COS-11D) reject this better than older ones, and sometimes a tiny by-pass cap helps...

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I contacted Lectrosonics with this issue and here is what Dave Thomas wrote:

"Hi, Matt, and thanks for your question.  While there have been some firmware improvements

that I am quite proud of, the symptom you're describing reminds me of a problem with the

power supply circuit in the receiver.  We replaced firmware and repaired the power supplies

around the same time, so it would be easy to attribute the improvement to the firmware. 

Given that I'm the firmware guy, I would love to take credit for it (!), but I believe the power

supply was the principal issue.  If memory serves, the problem would come and go,

depending on the precise DC voltage powering the receiver, which is part of the reason it

took us so long to nail it to the wall.  In any case, if you contact our Customer Service

Department, we'll make sure your equipment is up to date and problem free.

David"

I'll ship it in and let you guys know if it solves the problem.  Could be the RF mic thing, too, Senator, but I'd heard it really only helped the Zaxcom systems and nothing else.  Not that you are wrong, but I had been told not to worry about upgrading unless I got the Zaxcom stuff.

-Matt

• 9 months later...

I thought I'd stick with the SMQV Sanken CUB-01 Thread:

I have several SMQVs and very happy with them although from time to time I get frequency clashes within my units, but that is more a homework issue!

My question: I want to connect the Cub-01 to the SMQV. Should I be aware of any special rewiring needed? I understand the CUB-01 has an XLR barrel - will I just need to get a simple XLR-TA5 converter?

Thanks for any advice,

Ande

NZ