from "Harold and Maude"

Jeff Wexler

Andy Fischer who works with Cameron Crowe, vinyl films and vinyl records, is working on putting together a collection of the music from "Harold and Maude." He has gotten access to hundreds of stills taken on the movie and these are the only found record of my working on the movie --- pictured here with Colin Higgins and Steve Ferry (who was the prop master on the movie). We are working on the skeet-shooter bird feeder gag. As most of you know, I was working in the Art Department on that movie and it was that job that made the decision for me to start work in the film business.

-  JW

post-1-130815074318_thumb.jpg

post-1-130815074323_thumb.jpg

Wow! Great pictures... I can see you and Steve Ferry, a reel Holiwood classic character if there ever was one, but I would never of guessed that the guy watching is Colin Higgins, he looks so different, Wow. What was Colins job on Harold and Maude, Writter? Cool pics, thanks

Old School

What was Colins job on Harold and Maude, Writter? Cool pics, thanks

Old School

Colin wrote "Harold and Maude" as his UCLA film thesis and then after college hoped to be able to direct the movie. Colin was not able to direct, no studio would take a chance on film student, first time director, but they were interested in Hal Ashby coming off the success of Hal's first movie, "The Landlord." Colin, along with his parents, actually produced the movie for Paramount, so Colin had both a writing and producing credit. Colin was on the set almost everyday --- in the photo he is concerned that the one of the gags he wrote into the script wasn't really working. Very little if any dialog changes or story changes were made but Colin was still a valued presence on the set. Several years later, after I had decided to continue working on movies but now in the sound department, Colin asked Hal for recommendation for a sound mixer --- Hal said something like "do you remember Jeff Wexler...  he's doing sound now" and Colin hired me to do "Foul Play" his directorial debut. "Foul Play" was 1977 and I think it is the first full movie that Don Coufal and I did together. We went on to do "9 to 5" but due to scheduling problems that was our last movie with Colin. Colin died quite young in 1988.

-  JW