sound guy with A++ mic placement skills

Guest bobmane

You must pay an employee from the time you tell them to report to work until you dismiss them, not from when you arrive. Under current law, you can work somebody for 11 hours at the current minimum wage in California, which I'm told is $8 per hour. 8 hours at $8 per hour + 3 hours at $12 per hour = $100.00.

Overtime hours are determined by a 5 day 40 hour work week, AFAIK.

Since you are telling the person where to report, to whom they must report and when they must report, you're an employer and they're an employee. So minimum wage laws, withholding, etc. all apply. The person you will end up with is an employee and you'll be his or her employer.

Best regards,

Jim

"Mastering Documentary in high end mastering facility in central Hollywood. "

Translation: I have decided to spend the money on a facility that will not negotiate their rates, so I am asking you to negotiate yours instead.

Tell your mortgage company that you'll pay them in those neato "movie credits"

actually, we all need to apply, and con this "user" into hiring one of us, and then not bother to show up.

In the unlikely event he is even checking back here, (he asked for emails), that's OK, cause he'll never be sure.

Oh, and BTW, if he hires me, I will show up!!

...or will I ??

Hey, I'd be delighted to do it for $100/day AND include the mics... 

...IF... he'd pay full rental house rates for all the other gear, including backup gear, I bring.

Let's see, to begin with, ten Lectro wireless systems at $75/each... and, to quote the Carpenter's song, "We've Only Just Begun."

John B., CAS

Budget for “all around” sound person is 100.00 “a day” + meals and credits.

A day - means from the time the producer shows up in the morning to the time shooting stops at night – whatever that ends up being.

I actually thought this was a joke, a spoof posting or something...  but I realize now that it is serious (and I mean SERIOUS on all fronts). It is also a call to violate all the know labor laws and minimum wage standards in place in California (I assume the shoot is in California). I think using the "specs" you require and your expectations you would be lucky to get anything more than a warm body. I have paid the day laborers hanging out on the street corners more than you are offering and my expectation is that they know how to lift a box or two.

Please take this "offer" somewhere else --- too low for Craigslist so I have no suggestions.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler - your host at the Discussion Group

" I get the message .. "

tough room!

True, but anytime a new poster jumps in on a forum without doing some lurking and reading first they are likely to step on some toes, or end up in a cross-fire that was already going on.  If the OP had done only a little reading here he would have realized that this wasn't a good place for a request like his, at least worded that way.  He'll do fine on Craig's List or DV User etc.

Philip Perkins