Talk about ambient sound!

Kevin Sorensen

Oh man, this guy is such a wanker.

Listen to this:

http://www.thesoundagency.com/docs/Sound%20Affects.mp3

I browsed around this guy's website. It's incredible how this guy twists and contorts ideas to make them applicable to marketing and sales pitch.

I dread the world according to Julian Treasure.

We must inundate this guy with emails and phone calls to hound him off his prize idea - to use sound as a new tool for furthering consumerism. 

-vin

Interesting, Kevin.  The audio branding this guy does falls in line with the companies that do aroma branding by designing custom scents to deliver into the atmosphere of retail stores... which combines with the more obvious tools of image promotion such as color branding, custom fonts (woops, NBC didn't pay the license fee for theirs!!) and logo design.  As he points out, the Intel tones have become the audio companion to their graphic logo.  This guy hasn't invented anything new but he is drawing attention to something that can be a significant component in a company's product branding.

Laurence

Vin, sorry but I beg to differ, i found it very inspiring and informative.

I respect Vin's observation and opinion, and I agree to a certain extent (because I have heard that this guy books himself out to large corporations that pay him lots of money to consult) but I still think that his TED talk is valuable. He does illuminate the extent to which our soundscapes, either by accident or by design, have a significant and not always well understood affect on our daily lives.

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff, you should take a deeper look at his website and what he offers to the corporates (who obviously have NO idea about what he is talking about, and if they bite, they're eating off his hand). It is an incredible amount of bullshit. it is ACTUALLY ways to make soundscapes more CONTROLLED. Take a look at the companies (technology) that he has tied up with. Take a look at his opinion on MUSIC - and the 'software' that his associate companies make. In my curiousity I did download 'NOATIKL" but it did not run on my imac (gave off some strange blank windows when i ran it) - but i will try make it work.

"Hello, in the next few minutes <> how sound is a great undiscovered country for business"

-this is what the mp3 suggests.

-vin

If the public should have an education about sound and its effects, it should not come from a guy who is so obviously making it his marketing pitch - his work line - to help "improve" sales for corporations by using sound more "creatively and effectively".

We as sound guys - i mean all of us - location and post guys - are the large pool of experts from which someone should be doing this- educating the masses about sound and its effects.

This guy is a 'make hay while the..." kinda guy. Quite obviously - none of the REAL sound people are involved in his venture. A look at his website will tell you this clearly.

-vin

If the public should have an education about sound and its effects, it should not come from a guy who is so obviously making it his marketing pitch - his work line - to help "improve" sales for corporations by using sound more "creatively and effectively".

Have you never worked on a corporate video where someone is putting in place the latest recommendations from a marketing expert? That's all he's doing, improving the bottom line by pointing out an area that can be improved.

We as sound guys - i mean all of us - location and post guys - are the large pool of experts from which someone should be doing this- educating the masses about sound and its effects.

Well, we all sort of are by doing a good job on set.

Anyway, this is what I do as my other business: http://naturesounds.co.nz 

This guy is a 'make hay while the..." kinda guy. Quite obviously - none of the REAL sound people are involved in his venture. A look at his website will tell you this clearly.

-vin

I say great business idea!

He's found a very profitable niche with no competition.

Regards,

Grant.

http://naturesounds.co.nz