"deep" cleaning mixer pots - easy?

Izen Ears

Hello JWsound and thanks in advance:

Two of my Cooper 104 gain pots, channels 1 & 2, make crackling noise when turned.  It's been a while since I used them.  I turned them rapidly up and down, since I was once told that moving stuff can dislodge noise-making particles, but they crackle the same.

I tried air canning them from outside the mixer while turning them, then I popped off the top panel and air canned around in there.  Dust flew out.  But I still hear the crackle!

I know at this point there must be a way to clean the pot and re-lube it right?  It can't be that hard of an operation, I don't want to have to send the mixer out y'know?  Of course I'd much rather send it than screw it up and then have to send it anyway, but hey I'm handy and I feel I could do this.  I mean, when I was a kid I used to take apart cassette decks, repair busted belts with rubber bands, put them back together and they'd work fine!

Dan Izen

Hi, Dan

I had to replace the pots on Inputs 1 & 2 on my 104 last year. They were just plain worn out. Mine didn't make noise, they wouldn't fade smoothly anymore. AFAIK, they're sealed.  Not a terribly expensive repair as I recall and I used the opportunity to add prefader capability to the direct out option I'd added a while back. That was far more costly and involved adding a header for the board involved. My 104 is pretty old and I have to say it's one of the best investments in equipment I've made.

Best regards,

Jim

If the pots aren't completely sealed then you might try a little DeOxit spray in them.  http://store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

DeOxit spray is a useful tool to have in the kit.

Still, I wouldn't recommend spraying it into faders. Neil Stone advised me against using it indiscriminately because it would leave a residue that attracted dirt and eventually might make more trouble than it cured.

David Waelder

I believe what Dan is asking for is how to best clean his "gain" pot, found at the top of each channel, not the P&G faders.

RVD

No, he's asking about a Cooper 104, which has rotary faders.

cs104yellow_lg.jpg

A cut & paste from the original post:

Two of my Cooper 104 gain pots, channels 1 & 2, make crackling noise when turned.  It's been a while since I used them.  I turned them rapidly up and down, since I was once told that moving stuff can dislodge noise-making particles, but they crackle the same.

Best regards,

Jim

PS I believe the trim pots on 106/108 mixers are sealed as well.

Hmm, the board was last serviced and cleaned at LSC about 1.5 years ago when I went and did that pre-fade direct out mod, and then really not used too much.  (I know, I guess I got the expensive mod so that I could use the 104 in case the 8-channel board mixer died one day.)

They totally fade normal just a little scratchily.  So I bet they can be cleaned and don't have to be replaced if that's the symptom of being worn out.

Mr. Waelder: if the DeOxit shouldn't be sprayed into faders then what would be the method for cleaning these pots?  I mean they're pretty easy to get at.  But if it's truly something that only a professional can do then fine and I'll send it out; I was just hoping there was some method some 104 owner has discovered.

Dan Izen 

Mr. Waelder: if the DeOxit shouldn't be sprayed into faders then what would be the method for cleaning these pots?  I mean they're pretty easy to get at

Don't know. Sorry, I'm better with what not to do than with real help. I hesitate to recommend spraying anything into faders but you might be OK with alcohol to clean the surfaces. Be careful not to wash out the lubricant on the shaft.

In fact, the DeOxit might be OK if washed out with alcohol but, since the fader is probably a largely enclosed space, that might be a risky strategy.

I would contact a service professional - someone like Forrest Forbes at Coffey Sound - for consultation.

David

scratchy pots can be dirty pots, or / and worn or damaged pots.

Caig has a pot cleaner (Blue)

as the manufacturer is closed (though Andy may answer email), why not check with the recommended service facilities for professional advice; the folks available at "the usual suspects" tend to be pretty fair about giving honest advice on such matters, and if they do not recommend DIY, then I'd give that a lot of weight.

Two of my Cooper 104 gain pots, channels 1 & 2, make crackling noise when turned.  It's been a while since I used them.  I turned them rapidly up and down, since I was once told that moving stuff can dislodge noise-making particles, but they crackle the same.

I tried air canning them from outside the mixer while turning them, then I popped off the top panel and air canned around in there.  Dust flew out.  But I still hear the crackle!

I know at this point there must be a way to clean the pot and re-lube it right?  It can't be that hard of an operation, I don't want to have to send the mixer out y'know?  Of course I'd much rather send it than screw it up and then have to send it anyway, but hey I'm handy and I feel I could do this.  I mean, when I was a kid I used to take apart cassette decks, repair busted belts with rubber bands, put them back together and they'd work fine!

Dan Izen

I would go ahead and use the DeOxit. If there is not opening around the pot casing to squirt the lube/solvent, then try forcing it in between the shaft and the threaded part. I've done this many time on other pots and sometimes the fix lasted a very long time. Whether or not it solves your issue will be interesting to find out, but there is no harm in trying... it will not make anything worse.

Glen Trew

" but of course they'd say to send it in!  "

as I read that line I said to myself, as I had before posting my suggestion, would they automatically 'say send it in' ?? The answer is no, and I have plenty of personal experience. and then the next post confirmed that again.

as I said, the folks we are dealing with , aka 'the usual suspects' are in it for customer service and the long haul; they would offer you the option to try something simple yourself...

They always have for me...

BTW, as the DeOxit says on their label, use sparingly!!  DeOxit is primarily for contacts like plugs and jacks, and they (Caig) also make a specific pot cleaner (Blue)...

another BTW: sometimes the pot is more than dirty, and ought to be replaced...

• 4 weeks later...