Frequencies in Zimbabwe, Kenya and South Africa?

Brian

Hey all,

Just a question about frequencies.  Where would I find a database of frequencies for these countries.  I am using 2 Block 29's for transmitting to camera, (Still a great block in General so far)  and I have a block 25 and Block 21.  I have not been to africa in a while and just putting it out there if someone has some recent experience.  All the radio's are UM 400's with UCR 411a's.

BTW, Just got back from Bahamas and Block 26 was no good.

Thanks for all your input in advance.

Brian Hanish

Rebel Recordings.

Hey all,

Just a question about frequencies.  Where would I find a database of frequencies for these countries.  I am using 2 Block 29's for transmitting to camera, (Still a great block in General so far)  and I have a block 25 and Block 21.  I have not been to africa in a while and just putting it out there if someone has some recent experience.  All the radio's are UM 400's with UCR 411a's.

BTW, Just got back from Bahamas and Block 26 was no good.

Thanks for all your input in advance.

Brian Hanish

Rebel Recordings.

I believe there are worldwide frequency charts on both the Lectrosonic & Sennheiser websites.

Eric

you might have to go to Sennheiser's regional site for the region(s) you are interested in.

you might have to check other sources for TV broadcasters, --and other sources of potential interference, in these regions, as well...

TV broadcasters are only a small part of the wireless mic interference situation, which varys from location to location and time to time...

I keep saying this, it hasn't changed:

you should be able to get a couple of systems working acceptably on any block just about anywhere in the world; and keep in mind that your region(s) cover a lot of real estate...

Lectro blocks are about 25 MHz, which is a lot of spectrum!

Sure, for any location, there are better blocks, and worser blocks, especially if you need a lot of systems, but have you noticed the answers are always that folks used various blocks and they got good results,  and not that blocks were 'completely unusable' ???

Hey Brian

I was in South Africa last year and am from there originally and I know for a fact that block 29 is fine in Cape Town and probably in the north (Johannesburg, Pretoria) as well. Other people I know there are using blocks 27 and 28 but you will almost certainly find open freq's anywhere between 500 and 800mhz. The government charts I have seen declare nothing between 400 and about 800mhz so charts are not going to help you..

Jon Chiles

Thanks for all your support.  I figured I should be alright.  I usually scan when I get there.  I had noticed only recently on a shoot in the bahamas that I found no fully usable frequencies in block 26.  Just making sure I'm not walking into a nightmare.

Thanks again for all your responses, I appreciate the time.

B

I'm still asking, what exactly is meant by "fully usable" (or "no fully usable") frequencies...

so what would be a "less than fully usable frequency" or is that a "partially usable" frequency??

now, maybe I should extrapolate that to mean a scan that had no wide open spaces??

I frequently have great success on frequencies that show one or two pixels at the bottom of the scale on the Lectro block scan...and often by moving the RX or antenna just a bit, I can even eliminate those dots!! (out, out, damn spot!)

sure there are numerous places where the interference is bad, and even really bad, but "Zimbabwe", or "The Bahamas", or "South Africa", or "Kenya" (etc) are big places (whole countries!!), and moving a half km could make a significant change.  and different blocks may be better on one side of town than the other.

I'm still asking, what exactly is meant by "fully usable" (or "no fully usable") frequencies...

so what would be a "less than fully usable frequency" or is that a "partially usable" frequency??

now, maybe I should extrapolate that to mean a scan that had no wide open spaces??

I frequently have great success on frequencies that show one or two pixels at the bottom of the scale on the Lectro block scan...and often by moving the RX or antenna just a bit, I can even eliminate those dots!! (out, out, damn spot!)

sure there are numerous places where the interference is bad, and even really bad, but "Zimbabwe", or "The Bahamas", or "South Africa", or "Kenya" (etc) are big places (whole countries!!), and moving a half km could make a significant change.  and different blocks may be better on one side of town than the other.

I have my beefs with Senator but have to agree with him here. A definition of "fully usable" is required. If your scan gives you left to right full black, but up and down you've got some spaces with one pixel, 1 uV according to the scale, that's fully usable space in my book. But if you're getting a quarter or a third vertically right across, I'd say really? The Bahamas?

I never check frequencies before traveling and have never had a problem findind the 2 or 3 holes I need.

Mike, I'm really curious what your underlying agenda in all this is.  That no one here should ever discuss or ask about frequency availability or allocations because Senator Mike has decreed that it is not of concern?  If your goal is that none of us should ask each other questions unless you've granted permission, you're really in for a lot of disappointment and frustration.  Despite your obsessions to the contrary, we like talking to each other, asking questions, and comparing notes.

Perhaps it's time we started the HSMCF (Help Senator Mike Cope Fund).  But, before you get excited about a windfall of unexpected funds, you need to understand that we're earmarking the HSMCF to underwrite a session in which those of us who like to discuss this stuff, get together and do nothing but eat, drink, and of course, ask each other questions all evening long.  If any manufacturers are present, no one will be allowed to query them for the duration of the evening -- consider it a tribute.

John B.

" Mike, I'm really curious what your underlying agenda in all this is "

no underlying agenda, take me at 100% face value!

wow... I notice it is easy to hit some nerves...

I have no problem with questions, answers, and  especially hearty discussions, but also think that as professionals we are all quite capable of doing our own homework.

as to this specific topic -and all the others just like it: my comments mean exactly what they say...

I am answering and discussing.

• 3 weeks later...