Report function

Celac

I've done that before and got your same results. I'm guessing it means Jeff isn't online.

For most of you reading this after the spam was removed, the posts were spread over several Main Board topics and all were stickied. I'm not an IT guy but I don't think these spams were bots, but rather one guy posting several times over about cheap meds online.

Here's a vote for our host maintaining sole authority on making a topic a sticky, and hats off for having to deal with this crap.

I've done that before and got your same results. I'm guessing it means Jeff isn't online.

For most of you reading this after the spam was removed, the posts were spread over several Main Board topics and all were stickied. I'm not an IT guy but I don't think these spams were bots, but rather one guy posting several times over about cheap meds online.

I think you are right, it was a real person up to no good. It is the same "member" who said they were having problems with their "activation" (but was obviously active since they were already posting!).

I hope this does not force me to go back to the more elaborate procedure of signing people up where I vet them first before activating. I'm not an IT person either (obviously) but I will see what I can do.

As for the "no moderator found" I will look into that right now.

Thank you all for your patience.

-  Jeff Wexler

It's a 'bot.  That's what they do.  Just like spam, it takes thousands of postings to get a couple of suckers to follow a spam link.  Humans can't post that many messages... but 'bots do it all day long and all night long... and don't stop until something shuts them down.  Each new version of forum software adds new levels of protection... only to be followed by new spamming algorithms that circumvent them.  Cat and mouse.  The post that they made the other day, reporting problems registering, was probably part of the scam.  They must have had Notification turned on (yes, it's still notifying) and they may have used that test message notification as confirmation that the registration worked, at which point they add this forum to the list of forums that they post to.  The fix is simple, of course... just delete the account as soon as you see it.

Laurence

The fix is simple, of course... just delete the account as soon as you see it.

Laurence

Well, I feel a little bit like an idiot since I sent a personal email to this "person" trying to help them with their registration. Later, I did exactly what you said and deleted the account, but I only did that after they posted their ad.

I guess that is what I will have to do if I want to keep the ease of registering as open and free as possible. One thing that does help is when people sign up with what looks like a real name and their username makes sense, they are coming from a reputable and known ISP, etc. I know these things are no sure assurance that it isn't a bot, but it does help.

We'll see how it goes.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler