Ignore button

chriskellett

Hi Jeff,

Thank you so much for hosting such a wonderful collection of interesting topics and group discussions on so many different topics, I enjoy reading and learning about so many different things each time I visit the site. I agree with ,and admire,your extremely "open door" policy of welcoming all who would like to join the conversation, but would it be possible to allow us the option of an ignore button for individual posters?  I find a very select few posters deter from the threads on a regular basis and I would like to not see these posts.  I have seen and used this option in other groups but I am not sure if it is an option here.

Thanks again!

Chris Kellett

I will look into that mod ... if it helps everyone out I will consider installing it. I have run into fairly catastrophic problems in the past installing mods on SMF so I will have to do some research. One simple mod I installed took the whole forum down ... it was really ugly. SMF is really pretty good robust structure but it doesn't take kindly to 3rd party mods.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I will look into that mod ... if it helps everyone out I will consider installing it. I have run into fairly catastrophic problems in the past installing mods on SMF so I will have to do some research.

An additional consideration, for me, is the level of complexity to install some of these mods. They all modify the essential php coding and one little mistake while cutting and pasting can do a lot of damage. There is not a reliable installation routine for most of these things --- all manual.

(take a look at the attached .pdf - screenshot of installation guidelines - and you will get an idea what I am up against.

-  Jeff Wexler

Ignore_user_readme.pdf

• 2 months later...

Hello Jeff!

Greetings from a cold and snowy UK.

I started to reply to Glenn Trews posting along with a photo but when I tried to send it an error came up saying the attached file was too large. Am I trying to send the attachment incorrectly as I normally don't have any problem sending this file.

Regards,

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

Hello Jeff!

Greetings from a cold and snowy UK.

I started to reply to Glenn Trews posting along with a photo but when I tried to send it an error came up saying the attached file was too large. Am I trying to send the attachment incorrectly as I normally don't have any problem sending this file.

Regards,

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

I will check the settings on this end to make sure nothing has gotten bumped. You should check, if you haven't already, the actual size of the image file, and then try and upload it again. Looking at the drop-down "Additional Options" it states that the maximum attachment size allowed is 300 kb. If your file size was below that I don't have an explanation at this time. The other option for you is if the image is stored somewhere else, like Photobucket or Flikr, you can post it with a link to its location and it will display within the body of your message. Use the tags   and [img/] with the URL for the image in between.

There really is no way to install an "Ignore button" on a forum like this. I think anyone who wants to ignore something or someone should do just that...  ignore! I do moderate this forum, I read every post and reply, and I will make comment when I think I need to if someone or some thread is really going nuts. I cannot, however, satisfy the individual distaste that one member may have for a topic or another member by providing an ignore button. Just walk away...  use the mouse, scroll bar or close box.

-  Jeff Wexler

Since there is no spam here, I am fine. I dont find anyone at all out here that i want to ignore for the rest of my time on the group and maybe more.

I think we are all professionals here, some lesser in experience than others, which is normal at any point of time in the history of humanity. However my dear recently departed grandfather knew less about sound than i do, probably because he didn't give a damn about it. However, i must say he was an excellent singer, ALWAYS in pitch, whether he was singing in jest or serious or even when he was in a trance. (He was a see-er...)

-vin

Since there is no spam here, I am fine. I dont find anyone at all out here that i want to ignore for the rest of my time on the group and maybe more.

I think we are all professionals here, some lesser in experience than others, which is normal at any point of time in the history of humanity. However my dear recently departed grandfather knew less about sound than i do, probably because he didn't give a damn about it. However, i must say he was an excellent singer, ALWAYS in pitch, whether he was singing in jest or serious or even when he was in a trance. (He was a see-er...)

Vin,

I agree with your sentiments.  Condolences for your recent loss.

John B.

There really is no way to install an "Ignore button" on a forum like this. I think anyone who wants to ignore something or someone should do just that...  ignore!

Exactly. Web forum software isn't like text-based Usenet readers or email programs, where you can easily filter messages and avoid spam or people you don't want to read. I read as many as a half-dozen other web discussion groups, and they work only because of people being on good behavior and moderators. And when people break the rules, out they go.

--Marc W.