Boom operators - Cool photos

RPSharman

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was working with the boom op, Ray Phillips, from this shot (on a different job) and thought this shot deserved a place here.

This shot is at the internationally renowned Bells Beach, and the surfer in the BG isn't part of the action, He's just surfing.

Cheers

Rob

post-3134-0-01416000-1335913637.jpg

I was not the recordist on the job, but I understand it was all good, no one got accidentally wet!

The job was a film called 'Blinder' an Australian Rules Football based story, set near the beach. The surfing stuff had 100% sync dialogue recorded in the surf, the Boom had a Lectrosonics Butt plug transmitting to the recordist on the beach and being returned via Lecto IFB.

The only casualty was an IFB receiver worn by Ray when the decision was made to keep shooting when the tide was coming in and the (allegedly) water proof housing leaked.

Cheers

Rob

This is of a friend of mine, Colin Hart, recording alligators for a sound effects library. One gator jumped up and grabbed his blimp and it broke the pole. I heard the recording. Pretty wild.

Colin_Hart_Gator.jpg

This one is of a soldier whose father contacted me and asked if we could do a small custom job on one of our poles because his son is using it to search for trip wires on IEDs in Afghanistan. They sent me the picture of the pole in use. Not a normal "boom op" pic, but interesting nonetheless.

KTek_In_Afghanistan_21.jpg

Methinks I would be opting for your 110' pole to check for trip wires...

I actually talked with the father and asked if they wanted something longer, but they needed something that could collapse really small and be lightweight to fit in their packs. The more stuff they have to carry, the less ammo and water they get to carry, so we had to make something that collapsed really small and got as far as we could get it. I made it and sent it out, and they loved it. You can't see the end of the pole well, but there is a hook on the end of the pole near the ground for moving things around and such. They have ways of detecting IEDs (watch "bomb patrol: afghanistan" if you want to see how") and then they have several techniques for dealing with the IED's. This is one way. I'm just glad we were able to make something to help them.

Today I was booming on a corporate spot for a major insurance company, and when I got to the stage I found an apple box with a hole in it! A HOLE IN IT! How thoughtful that someone got their drill out to make my life easier. I think... Anyways it made my day.

Don't they all have holes? This is what my boom ops do all the time with them, pretty handy indeed!