Boom operators - Cool photos

RPSharman

Seeing all these great booming photos makes me resent even more the words "Just throw a lav on 'em".

I especially love the shots with 2 or 3 booms on a scene.  That must be what heaven looks like!

In an interview recently the producer stated on his film every speaking actor would be lav'd.  I asked him why he would make such a sweeping declaration and he said, "So we can hear them". 

My reply was, "That's what a good boom op is for" and further, "as a mixer I reserve the right to use wires when and where necessary."

I did not get the job.

:-)

People always like to ask why all the wind protection? As a OMB, it's just easier to have it always ready to go whether you are inside or not. Sometimes you are running inside to out or out to in and you just don't have the time to change things around or pack everything along for the ride when its going to be a 12 hour day on your feet. It just makes things go faster and you don't have people burning holes into your head while you are changing to your better sounding system.

Scott......

Hello. My opinion (excuse my bad english).

Interior and exterior the sound yes is diferent, very different, more that the wind protection HF difference.  If you don´t use zeppelin your boom is more light and more small, also I think that use a same mic in interior and exterior only in special situations is a good idea.

But, perhaps the photo locations had open window, or other problems thai I don´t know. Or that say  carbonhobbit  or Low budget = Only one mic, one Zeppelin, one...

Is no easy.

Why is he using the zeppelin inside?

It was a reasonably fast paced factual entertainment show which necessitated the odd boom swing that was faster than I would have liked. The mixer and I decided that the 8050 with only foam was too susceptible to wind noise to risk not using the basket as retakes weren't an option.

David, the budget did allow us more than one mic but enough time to take the basket off is seemingly much more expensive ;-)

It was a reasonably fast paced factual entertainment show which necessitated the odd boom swing that was faster than I would have liked. The mixer and I decided that the 8050 with only foam was too susceptible to wind noise to risk not using the basket as retakes weren't an option.

David, the budget did allow us more than one mic but enough time to take the basket off is seemingly much more expensive ;-)

Am I understanding it right that you're using a 8050 in the zep on the pictures? How is it mounted, connbox, lowcut filter-module?

• 2 weeks later...

fn062227_pic_13.jpg

I have no idea what is what and who is.

I found it from here: http://www.europeanfilmgateway.eu

I think this is from  either "The Tiger of Eschnapur" 1959 or "The Indian Tomb"1960 (German productions that were later edited together into "Journey to the Lost City") They were both directed by the great Fritz Lang,who returned to Germany to film them at the CCC studios in Spandau,Berlin and on location in Rajasthan,India. Filmed in technicolor, I'd guess this is a Technicolor camera without the magazine mounted. No idea of the microphone....  The DoP was Richard Angst,Swiss born,but worked in Germany before,during and after the war and made propaganda movies for the Nazis! 

I must get out more!