Sound Cart - Simon Paine

Simon Paine

Simons cart looks great, very nice gear...

I have no idea how you guys cram all your stuff into these teeny weenie 2.0 ltr. 4 cylinder mini cars...  I struggle with a new 6.6 ltr Duramax turbo Diesel and wish I had more...   I love to tow travel trailers (big ones)  use it for Quads and dirt bikes and haul stuff from time to time not work related. At 22 mpg (fully loaded), 660 ft lb of torque at 1800 rpms., big, roomy, Safety caged security barrier, caged rear windows (limo tinted), side slider door, and tie down points and rails..and it is safe and should last for 300,000 miles,  I prefer the bigger full size Chevy van... It is a work vehicle.

I can't even imagine loading my gear into a mini van or car........  no way, no how.....  Generator, roll out carpets, gas can, 4 boom poles, antenna mast pole, tools, Pelican batteries, Battery belts, porta column, Yamaha 400 W powered speaker, spare console, Starter paddle, Expendable stock, batteries, Runs of cable snakes,tarps, and I have not even loaded the main sound cart, over the shoulder bag rig, Mini porta cart, Accessory Monster cart, Travel duffel bag and computer backpack....

I admire you guys for being able to run like that... I really do. I would feel like the emperor with no clothes... way out of my comfort zone...

Besides, on a fun note, those little cars wont pull the Indio Grade out of Palm Springs going East at 80 mph loaded at 2000 rpms purring.... Maybe for a documentary package it would be a great little car.... I guess it can be done as shown..I do though like how Simon folds everything up and makes it work for him... :)  Good job... Probably great for the UK... The motto is as always, whatever works for you....

I'm with you, BobD.  I need all my bits to feel like I'm ready for anything.  When I had an SUV to carry my gear, I was always trying to guess what I could leave behind.  Now I pull a trailer with the SUV.  It fits in my garage for security, and I have everything I need always.

Robert

I'm with you, BobD.  I need all my bits to feel like I'm ready for anything.  When I had an SUV to carry my gear, I was always trying to guess what I could leave behind.  Now I pull a trailer with the SUV.  It fits in my garage for security, and I have everything I need always.

Robert

I always wanted a trailer... A GREAT way to go, except I have no place to park it where I live in LA for work.... :(    Really nice to roll sound out of when necessary too!!!

A new car would be nice--but the HHR and Transit were too small for me--the minivan format still works better in my space vs. parkability debate, money aside.  Many sound and cam people around here have Sprinters now--a very sweet (but expensive) ride, but absolutely no way in downtown parking garages in SF.  On big jobs transpo captains are often grateful that my van is small, and show their gratitude by giving me nice close parking.  I seems to recall being very unimpressed by the features and the mileage of the Transit--not as nice a ride as the HHR in a car-sense, and not as good mileage either.  (And not cheap.)

Philip Perkins

I seems to recall being very unimpressed by the features and the mileage of the Transit--not as nice a ride as the HHR in a car-sense, and not as good mileage either.  (And not cheap.)

Philip Perkins

Are you talking about the Ford Transit Connect, the new mini-truck release (in this country) from Ford? I have been looking into this vehicle as the perfect sound vehicle for me (I don't have anything that can hold any of my equipment right now). We had 2 of these Fords as picture cars, serving as Florist trucks for Sienna Bouquet in Valentine's Day. Size-wise they were ideal for me but still would not hold ALL of my equipment, except maybe to transport it to the large Sound and Video trailers we have on the big movies.

I was not so pleased with the fairly mundane and boring 4-cylinder powerplant, knowing that Ford will in the future have something much more interesting (hybrid, biofuel, etc.) in the near future. I don't know what the HHR costs but the Ford Transit seemed quite reasonably priced around $20K.

I did look at the HHR (maybe after Philip posted something) but it just is not big enough inside.

I guess I have thoroughly hijacked this thread, sorry.

-  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815083728_thumb.jpg

Are you talking about the Ford Transit Connect, the new mini-truck release (in this country) from Ford? I have been looking into this vehicle as the perfect sound vehicle for me (I don't have anything that can hold any of my equipment right now). We had 2 of these Fords as picture cars, serving as Florist trucks for Sienna Bouquet in Valentine's Day. Size-wise they were ideal for me but still would not hold ALL of my equipment, except maybe to transport it to the large Sound and Video trailers we have on the big movies.

I was not so pleased with the fairly mundane and boring 4-cylinder powerplant, knowing that Ford will in the future have something much more interesting (hybrid, biofuel, etc.) in the near future. I don't know what the HHR costs but the Ford Transit seemed quite reasonably priced around $20K.

I did look at the HHR (maybe after Philip posted something) but it just is not big enough inside.

I guess I have thoroughly hijacked this thread, sorry.

-  Jeff Wexler

Ford E150 or E250 vans, more room, bigger 6cyl engine. Not sexy but you can always pimp it out.

Eric

Ford E150 or E250 vans, more room, bigger 6cyl engine. Not sexy but you can always pimp it out.

Eric

My first real equipment vehicle was a Ford E250 I purchased in 1976 while working on "Coming Home" The transportation captain was Jerry Molen (who went on to become a producer for Steven Spielberg) and he got me a great deal at Galpin Ford. I did "pimp it out" as you say, building a whole interior with paneling, special flooring, tie off points for the cart, shelves for equipment. I used it for about 10 years.

I would not want a full size van like that now --- that's why I mentioned the Ford Transit Connect which just seems to be a more progressive and forward looking vehicle.

-  Jeff Wexler

My first real equipment vehicle was a Ford E250 I purchased in 1976 while working on "Coming Home" The transportation captain was Jerry Molen (who went on to become a producer for Steven Spielberg) and he got me a great deal at Galpin Ford. I did "pimp it out" as you say, building a whole interior with paneling, special flooring, tie off points for the cart, shelves for equipment. I used it for about 10 years.

I would not want a full size van like that now --- that's why I mentioned the Ford Transit Connect which just seems to be a more progressive and forward looking vehicle.

-  Jeff Wexler

Take a look at the Toyota Scion XB, kind of a station wagon on steroids for around $17k. www.scion.com.

Eric

I saw the ford Transit Connect at the LA Auto Show last week. It is made in Turkey and imported by FORD. The wheels seem to be very small and I would think a long road trip with a full load would tax the small engine and tiny drive train.  For urban settings though it may be just right.  Good options on access to cargo and good gas mileage for gas only vehicle.

----Courtney

I had an E-150 for 12 years.  Never again.  The Econoline is a really old design that I think is near the end of its life.  If the country gets really serious about emissions controls one of the casualties of the changeover will be the F150/Econoline type vehicles, especially those already on the road. The Transit Connect seemed a little tinny to me--I too question how it would be on the SF-to-LA run etc esp fully loaded up.  Ford kind of sells them as urban delivery vehicles, except that the engine is very uninspiring.  If they made it a hybrid I'd probably take another look.

Philip Perkins

Continued hijack of this now vehicle thread....

For what it is worth, I did a series of Ford spots in Detroit not long ago. They rented me a NICE full size new Chevy van 6.0 Gas...   I was happy as a clam...  until the producer asked me for a ride back to the hotel. While she chatted away on her cell phone I was marveling at the fact that I had the only Chevy vehicle for like 5 sq. miles!!!  maybe more... We WERE in Dearborn, home of Ford....   When she had a sliver of space between calls, I spoke of my now new interesting fact about us being in the only Chevy vehicle around. You should of seen her head spin around, just like the Exorcist...  She said WHAT!! who got you this van!!  I said, well, production of course...  She was so mad...  Well, cut to the next day and I was now in a new Ford full size cargo van...  The worst driving pile of steaming excrement I have EVER driven. Really. WE, my boom op and myself, could not believe how awful this van drove.. I had to have him drive it too since I was awestruck..   Almost unreal...  and it was brand new....  So much for Fords...  They're vans have always been poor steering, and boaty feeling vans..  Just to note,  My Chevy vans feel like Beautiful luxury vehicles in comparison. Try for yourself and see...

Quote from Phillip...

"Ford kind of sells them as urban delivery vehicles, except that the engine is very uninspiring.  If they made it a hybrid I'd probably take another look."

If they did, they would be uninspiring hybrids....  :)

I had an E-150 for 12 years.  Never again.  The Econoline is a really old design that I think is near the end of its life.  If the country gets really serious about emissions controls one of the casualties of the changeover will be the F150/Econoline type vehicles, especially those already on the road.

The Salesman at the Auto Show this year suggested that Ford was looking at replacing the Econoline with the Transit Connect.

The Salesman at the Auto Show this year suggested that Ford was looking at replacing the Econoline with the Transit Connect.

I don't like Econolines much but I don't see how that could be true.  An E250 could carry at least 3 times what you can put in a Transit Connect.  I've seen pictures of more Sprinter-like Transits, but so far all I've seen in the flesh in the USA has been the one that sort of looks like a small pickup truck with a tall camper shell.

Philip Perkins

I really thought about buying the Transit, but the Chevy/GMC Express was about $4000 cheaper and held about 25% more. Granted, it's harder to park (plus it's exactly 7' high), but with a backup camera and a GPS, I can get just about anywhere and pack anything in it.

No question, though, for a run & gun thing or a small kit, a hatchback or SUV would be a lot more appropriate. But when you need a full-sized cart and a lot of gear (including backups), I'm not sure a full-size van is avoidable.

--Marc W.

Any pros or cons on the Honda Element ?

Mike

Nice solid car (a friend was blind-sided at high speed on the freeway in one, went through the fence and ended up in someone's back yard, and walked away), kind of expensive.  I don't think they are very roomy, and I don't think the side doors give you much access (I also think this about the Transit Connect).  If you had a small package maybe.

Philip Perkins