MKH 50 resale value

johnnyx

Hi. I am working with good friend to record location dialog of a short film. He is very talented director and has brought in real actors into this project. He has already had a film featured in film festival and this project is to take things to the next level. I have experience with audio/music but this will be my first time doing production recording. I enlisted myself as I want to make sure that my friends film has clean pro sounding dialog. Of course, our budget on this one is practically zero.

Well 80% of dialog is interiors that we will not have time to prepare acoustics of room and I now have realized that the MKH 50 would be what I need. Problem is that I can not find one to rent local. They only have the MKH 60. I can get all the other stuff no problem (boom, wind protection, etc)

My question is if I just buy a MKH 50 and things do not go beyond this project if I could easily resell the mic? I have been trying to find out what used ones are selling for but  it looks like no body sells them used. I guess that speaks for the mic... If I would need to sell it, would I get 80% ?  I can pick it up new for $1200

If anyone knows of other idea or rental company that would rent to St. Louis, I might look into that as option.

Thank you!

John Xeno

If you take good care of the mic, charge a reasonable rental for it to the production and keep everything that came with it in good condition you might even come out ahead if you resell it after the job is over.

Just my 2 cents....

Best regards,

Jim

PS The reason you can't find one used is few owners want to part with an MKH50, as it's a very robust mic that sounds great and is easy to use.

Hi. I am working with good friend to record location dialog of a short film. He is very talented director and has brought in real actors into this project. He has already had a film featured in film festival and this project is to take things to the next level. I have experience with audio/music but this will be my first time doing production recording. I enlisted myself as I want to make sure that my friends film has clean pro sounding dialog. Of course, our budget on this one is practically zero.

Well 80% of dialog is interiors that we will not have time to prepare acoustics of room and I now have realized that the MKH 50 would be what I need. Problem is that I can not find one to rent local. They only have the MKH 60. I can get all the other stuff no problem (boom, wind protection, etc)

My question is if I just buy a MKH 50 and things do not go beyond this project if I could easily resell the mic? I have been trying to find out what used ones are selling for but  it looks like no body sells them used. I guess that speaks for the mic... If I would need to sell it, would I get 80% ?  I can pick it up new for $1200

If anyone knows of other idea or rental company that would rent to St. Louis, I might look into that as option.

Thank you!

John Xeno

Why not rent from a pro audio dealer like Trew Audio in Nashville. They'll ship to you. Figure about $25 a day & $100 a week (4days=1 week). www.trewaudio.com for full contact info.

Eric 

Aside from the helpful suggestions already supplied, the only thing I could add is that you could do this project with the MKH 60 or a MKH 416.  You could also look into renting a Schoeps CMC 6 body / MK41 capsule.  Schoeps are pretty common in rental departments.  I wouldn't buy a microphone just for one job if you're not interested in using it down the road but you will be able to sell it if you want.  Good luck!

Tim

Aside from the helpful suggestions already supplied, the only thing I could add is that you could do this project with the MKH 60 or a MKH 416.  ...

Tim

Are there any tricks to do with a MHK 60, like cover vents on tube, to make it behave a little more like hyper and less shotgun? (Short of treating interior room with sound absorption). Even something that might help 50% ?  I agree with you that I could get by with MKH 60.

Hey Johnny,

I second the opinion to rent the 60. Many shows use the 60 (or other shotgun mics) for interior scenes. But I wouldn't try to modify the microphone.

Don't give up on the room treatment. You may have more time than you think to do some simple blanket riggings during lighting set ups.

Josh

OK, I notice an elephant in the room...

" I have experience with audio/music but this will be my first time doing production recording.  "

the two different fields of sound recording are hugely different.

do not attempt to cover microphone "ports"

instead of buying a microphone, rent one, or two; also get some sound blankets (aka furni-pads)...

a short interference tube (aka shotgun) type microphone probably would work fine, unless you are in very small reverberant spaces (bathrooms, showers, etc) as would a Schoeps '41, MKH-50, and a number of other mic's.  since this is your first time on movie sets, and given that your very talented director actually has very little experience, and " Of course, our budget on this one is practically zero. " I suspect that the relatively minor differences among the microphones will not be a project defining issue. there certainly will be a lot of other things that will render the microphone differences unnoticeable in the end...