who is this, really??

from CL:

" I need to rent a complete pro location sound package for a Disney gig in Burbank coming in January. It's 14 days of shooting total with the same schedule in March, May, and August. I am a 20-year pro. No mistakes or abuse of equipment I can assure you.

I need:

4-8 track digital recorder

4 ch. field mixer

2 shotgun mics with booms

1 stereo mic (shotgun or capsule)

2-4 radio mics with lavaliers, windscreens, and clear adhesive tape.

Magliner with a shelf for a portable workspace.

All the road cases, gaffers tape, cables, batteries, chargers, and miscellaneous support gear required to operate. (9volts and AA's are billable)

This is a Disney production and they expect A LOT for their money. They will not pay mall prices. I'm looking for an alliance with someone who can possibly step in and cover the gig if I have a schedule conflict. I don't like to put my eggs all in one basket. It's hard to commit to so much work with one client and be off the market for a long period of time. More work for me, means more work for you. If you prove to be a good business alliance, there will be more good jobs to come.

I am offering $2100.00 for the work in Jan. with the promise of at least that much for Mar. and then again in May, etc. etc.

This is not only a good rental opportunity but a chance to expand your client base as well.

Feel free to contact me and discuss.

All The Best.

Reply to: gigs-m8gdd-1526541960@craigslist.org  "

well the title is a rhetorical question...

my inquiry has produced no response...and, well, there are some, er, curious things about the post.

a 20 year veteran in the biz, working for Disney (which should be IA) who wants the radio mic's in the package to include "clear adhesive tape", and doesn't know where to rent production sound gear??? and s/he doesn't want: " to commit to so much work with one client and be off the market for a long period of time. "

a joke?? a SCAM ??

Or just looking for a deal better than the rental houses.  My guess is that Disney won't come anywhere near what a rental house would charge for all that stuff, so he's hoping for someone who is well-equipped but hungry.  He says he's a 20 year vet, but doesn't say what part of the biz he's a vet of--he could be a live-sound guy or someone who has always done network jobs and thus wouldn't have any gear.  Or he's flying in

from the UK etc and it isn't worth the shipping to bring his own stuff for what they are paying.  And he needs help finding that "clear adhesive tape" in LA.....

Years ago I had a few inquiries like this from out of town mixers, usually under those kind of circumstances.

Philip Perkins

I don't think this guy is the mixer.  I think he is the production manager looking to make a deal.  He doesn't just want to rent some gear, he wants someone to provide everything including 9 volts and AA, something available at any corner drug store, supermarket, etc..  In true CL fashion he is not being completely honest.

Bob S.

$2100 for a 14 day rental is $150 a day. There is no way you could rent that package from any rental house at that price. Notice there's no mention of insurance of any kind on the gear or labor rates.

Eric

True but most rental houses are doing a 3 day week (some even 2 day weeks) which brings the per day rental up a bit.