Fostex FR2 and Compact Flash hiccups

miker71

I've only used the FR2 a few times, but it seems that often when I want to recue tracks for playback it declares a card error. The only way to recover seems to be dump existing files onto a Mac/PC using a card-reader and then reformat the card using the FR2. If I never cue/review and only record sequentially, I never seem to hit any issues.

The FR2 firmware is v1.10 (11 August '05), I've not been able to find newer.

The Compact Flash is a Lexar Professional 2GB (133x speed) with "write acceleration" - it's this feature that makes me suspect this brand is not wholly compatible with the FR2.

Does anyone else have similar experiences to share? What brand of CF card are you using with the FR2?

Thanks!

I did find firmware 1.20 (10 Jan '06) and have upgraded in hope. The update apparently only addresses a feature for battery capacity tracking:

FR-2 with V1.20 software complies to a new 7.2V battery manufactured by TAMIYA designed for radio con-

trol products. As shown in the drawing below, the new “RC7.2V” setting can be selected in the “Battery”

SETUP menu when connecting the TAMIYA battery via Model 8570 (Cable for FR-2 External Battery) to the

FR-2 DC IN jack.

I also sourced some older/slower SanDisk CF stock for use with the FR2.

Updates for the FR2 are at http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/support/software_update_1.shtml

Does anyone else have similar experiences to share? What brand of CF card are you using with the FR2?

Thanks!

Haven't had this sort of error.  I've used SanDisk Ultra II and Kensington Elite Pro CF cards without issues.

Do you format the card each use or erase?  I've heard of issues when the CF cards are erased rather than formatted.

PWP

I'll be using some hastily sourced SanDisk CF over this weekend, but I'm eyeing their current UltraII 4GB CF for my next job.

In doing some more testing with the Lexar 2GB 133x I'm beginning to think I've got a bad card. I recorded a random 15 minute test take and on playback a few minutes in I got an earful of white noise before the FR2 reported a card error. On recording/monitoring everything was fine. I used the Mac to verify the integrity of the filesystem on the Lexar, but it doesn't check for hard errors as far as I know.

I always use the format option before re-using the CF.

The FAT32 filesystem still makes me nervous. I think there's room for a manufacturer to introduce a cross-platform journaled filesystem (maybe somebody already has?)

Anyway I'm hoping I got unlucky with my 2GB CF and not unlucky with my FR2 ....