Nice work Philip

old school

I am jealous Philip P. Great sound, good subject/gig, and I hope the $$$ was honest. Was it shot w a DSLR? Maybe the 5D? Looked like it sounded...

CrewC

Thanks--they were nice folks and although I'd recorded @ the Oakland Paramount before I'd never recorded in the LOBBY, which is where we shot.  The "mix" was entirely done by moving the single boom mic around live--him to her, out when it got loud etc..  No time for anything else, one man band.  Yes, 3 5Ds, each w/ a wireless RX for scratch track from me, real audio through my SD doco rig BWFs 24/48 30TC--nothing special.  Got lucky that time.

Philip Perkins

cool,

I have been considering a CS3e, have you had any problems with it?

It's been my axe for about 3 yrs now-- I like it a lot.  I've only ever had one humid issue with it (driving rain, and I'm not sure that was really the problem--didn't sound like a Schoeps dying of humidity at all), and it does hear cel phones in close proximity, in spite of having the fancy RF-proof XLR connectors on my booms (the only way I know to really eliminate GSM cel interference is to go Sennheiser).  Very versatile--I hadn't intended to do that Swell Season job all with the Sanken, but that's how it turned out.  The BG rejection is great, you can come in fairly close w/o nasty proximity fx, and the lack of rear sens. lobe means you can go right up against the ceiling or etc w/o coloring the sound.

Philip Perkins

Very nice job Phillip!  I was curious to know what mic you used.  I was hoping/guessing it was a CMIT5U, since that's what I have but nice to hear a good representation of what the Sanken sounds like.  I noticed a bit more reverb when they were singing and was wondering if that was added in post or if that was the natural sound of the space?  Either way it was very pleasing.

Best,

Bernie

Very nice job Phillip!  I was curious to know what mic you used.  I was hoping/guessing it was a CMIT5U, since that's what I have but nice to hear a good representation of what the Sanken sounds like.  I noticed a bit more reverb when they were singing and was wondering if that was added in post or if that was the natural sound of the space?  Either way it was very pleasing.

Best,

Bernie

No audio post at all, they tell me.  "For the web", ie cheap.  There's more reverb when they sing because

they sing louder than they talk and that got the room going--no extra reverb.  When Glen really cranked up his street-musician pipes I backed the mic out a ways, so those parts get more reverby as well.

Philip Perkins