Fixer in Haiti

Simon,

Good luck. Unfortunately aftershocks will continue for months, with no predictability. When working always be aware of where you are and always look for places to get safe cover. It is not recommended that you try to run out of a structure during an earthquake or aftershocks, as falling debris kills more people than you might think.

Stay safe it will not be a pretty place.

RL

Will do. We arrive there tomorrow, so hopefully all the aftershocks will be mostly done.

Yikes!  Stay safe and try not to get too depressed.  As I only learned very recently, it can be very sad and hard to keep up your spirits when surrounded by poverty.  Smiles are contagious and always helped me, and they seemed to help the locals feel more comfortable with us invading their lives.

Robert

I heard from a friend of mine tonite.  He and I have been to most of the really $*)$#* spots in the world and he said it is the worst he has ever seen.  He is spending the night outside on the tarmac at the airport and they have people out looking for transportation, fuel for vehicles, etc.  My guess is if you are travelling with enuf cash, you will find someone near the airport to haul you around.  As far as a FIXER I am sure the usual suspects are already working.  The FIVE television networks started arriving just after midnite last nite. 

be safe....cleve

The news reports out of Haiti are horrific. I've been to the Caribbean many times (though not for work), and there's been terrible poverty and bad construction in those areas for years. I can't imagine what it'd be like after a quake.

Sincere best of luck, Simon -- I hope more coverage of this story inspires people to help.

--Marc W.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Guys. Haiti was quite the hellish experience. Just got back a few days ago.  I'll try and write up a post about it sometime over the next few days. I've been to third world countries before, so I was prepared for the usual poverty and chaos, but add to that the total destruction of any semblance of an infrastructure Haiti had, and you end up with one huge mess !!

Must have been an incredible adventure, Simon. Congrats on making it home.

I saw the news item the other day about the guy they rescued who'd been trapped underground for three weeks -- an unbelievable story. I thought it was bad when they initially said 100,000 dead. As of yesterday, they're saying 230,000 confirmed dead.

Whatever problems I have in my life seem trivial by comparison.

--Marc W.