Apple iPad

Jeff Wexler

Apple's new iPad needs FCC approval

BY UPI

— 10:59 PM ET 01/31/2010

Gadget lovers hoping to place a pre-order for Apple's new iPad won't be able to -- because Steve Jobs' new toy can't be legally sold yet, experts say.

Apple has yet to obtain Federal Communications Commission approval for the wireless device to operate on the nation's airwaves, Wired magazine reported Sunday.

Apple confirmed this in an e-mail to prospective customers. "This device has not yet been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained," it said.

The FCC approves wireless devices to make sure they don't interfere with other electronic devices or emit too much radiation, Wired said.

Apple’s iPhone received FCC approval about a month after it was announced, and experts expect the same will happen with the iPad, unveiled on Jan. 27.

The company has said it expects to offer it for sale in March or April.

I rest my case, so to speak.

Stone          iPad

Wash clothes                    Yes            No

Discourage angry dog        Yes            No

Skip across pond              Yes            Yes

Having just published my consumer/twitter research report on the iPad, for me personally I see it as a replacement for my iPod Touch, and that's about it.  I'm not even sure I would replace my Kindle.  I have serious concerns about the reflective screen when trying to read.  Although it would be cool if you could protect it sufficiently to be able to use that TC slate app.  And, at the risk of offending some, (my apologies in advance) the working title of my report was, "Is the iPad a Bloody Mess?".

Phil

Mike, if you're asking me, it was about 30 minutes of hands on time at the launch event.  Closely supervised by two Apple people, but I had pretty much a free hand to try out the things that were installed (obviously carefully tested and loaded before the launch event).  It was funny to watch the apple folks get nervous as I strayed from their "demo script".  :-)

More negative iPad comments on Marketwatch:

<b>Questions Remain After iPad Reveal</b>

<b>iPad Is A Big Yawn</b> (John Dvorak)

Other pundits have pointed out that AT&T won't be happy if iPad customers start trying to download lots of HD content for their devices. And AT&T's 3G is "supposed" to be unlimited. I suspect AT&T will clamp down quickly on bandwidth for users that try to download a half-dozen HD iTunes movies a week...

--Marc W.

and...

even though their wireless systems are not as prevalent in typical "production sound"

" AKG will debut a free Apple iPhone app in March for monitoring and controling its wireless microphone and IEM systems.

The app will link Harman’s HiQnet protocol to the iPhone and iPod Touch app via Wi-Fi network. According to AKG, the new application can be used to monitor wireless system parameters and radio frequency connections on stage for various AKG systems, including the DMS 700 ("pure digital"), the WMS 4000/4500, and the IVM 4 personal monitor system. The user will reportedly be able to browse through the entire wireless system within the device list, monitor each device and its parameters separately within the stripe view, or use the RF monitor for checking the radio frequency connection of each wireless device. "

More manufacturers are integrating iPhone/iPod/iPad into their products.  Sony just announced Blueray players with 3D capability and iPhone/iPod touch(thus iPad?) control capability. 

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/10/02/10/sony.bdp.s470.to.support.3d.ipod.remote/

So, iPad can be used as a GUI entertainment center remote that can also check e-mail, surf internet, download e-books, play music and be a portable media player?  Maybe the pundits are right.  No one is gonna want something like that!

I've used the iPhone since day 1, and while I'm a fan to a point, I think there are a lot of things it does OK, and some things for which it's woefully inadequate. I'd be very concerned about trying to use it to change wireless freqs (especially in a hurry). It's a little flakey as a phone and storing my contacts and daily schedule.

I saw an app in this month's <u>Mix magazine</u> about iPhone apps for pro recording, and I had to roll my eyes when I saw the one for a Pro Tools controller. The last thing I'd want to try to do is use a virtual slider on an iPhone to change a mix level. Maybe for starting and stopping playback, but anything beyond that...   shakehead.gif

--Marc W.