Euphonix & RME Fireface

I've been using the zoom R16 as a controller for RME FF800.

I've seen this R16 musicians all-in-one mixer for months in the ads in music magazines.

The Behringer BCF2000 unit which does USB as well as MIDI In/Out worked when I visited Graham G. on set while he was still using TotalMix and could also allow banked faders for more than 8 tracks or setup groups. You can't do that with non-motorized faders.

As a _controller_ONLY_  are the short throw faders on the Zoom R16 really enough for mixing dialogue? Do you feel that the 40-50mm is enough to make subtle moves for the dailies mix?

The Euphonix MC Mix costing 5 times the Behringer BCF2000 and they both have 100mm faders [motorized].

I heard that Metric Halo may make a firmware update to allow the Mackie Control Extender Pro (4 times the cost of the BCF2000) to work with their DSP boxes & MIO Console digital mixer software as MIDI IN.

Why is that significant? Usually you'd need the Mackie Control Universal Pro unit to be able to use the Mackie Control Universal Pro at all supposedly. The MCextenderPro unit uses P&G 100mm faders for familiarity and smoothness.  

Another newcomer is the Alesis Mastercontrol which uses HUI protocol. 9volt external DC power, 30watt/3.5Amp. MIDI IN/OUT. 100mm faders [motorized].

http://www.alesis.com/mastercontrol

It doesn't have wordclock IN/OUT so you couldn't really use the audio inputs but for less$ than the Mackie Control Extender Pro.

Depends on how you are using a linear fader control surface. Are you moving around a lot where you just want something very cheap and will do the job similar to the 6 linear faders on the Cantar-X2? or do you want 100mm faders that you mix on almost everyday on the soundcart on a shelf or pullout drawer?

• 4 weeks later...

http://blog.broadcastengineering.com/briefingroom/2009/02/06/metric-halo-ships-mobile-io-v-51-with-eucon-and-mackie-control-support/

looks to be official.

PCM, thanks for your help. I'm looking for a setup that will give me the all the options and flexibility of mixing digital. I want to be able to route anything anywhere.

So you're saying the Euphonix faders are not as long as the Mackie Control?

Perhaps I should start a new thread here - Because now we are mainly looking at Metric Halo products having better support with the Euphonix controllers.

Perhaps Graham can chime in on this one, since he is using a very similar setup.

Lets say we are using a controller like the MC Mix with the Metric Halo Mixer app in OSX. Euphonix claims that the MC Mix is App specific. Meaning if you are running Metacorder as well as the Metric Halo Mixer software - and you alt-tab away from the mixer and into metacorder, the MC Mix will respond to it and the motorized faders will respond to whatever application is in focus. Does anybody know if this happens when using the Mobile IO stuff? Maybe this wouldn't happen with Metric Halo mixing and MC/Boom Recorder?

So you're saying the Euphonix faders are not as long as the Mackie Control?

No. They both have 100mm motorized faders.

The Mackie MCextenderPro has

Pro build quality—MCU Pro constructed out of  metal and has sturdy metal parts versus plastic (like the competition uses)

Although the MCextenderPro is bulky and heavy (Shipping Weight: 16lbs) for doing the same thing the other models below do.

Euphonix MC Mix weight : 4.8 lbs

Behringer BCF2000 weight: approx. 5 3/4 lbs

Correction, The Euphonix MC Mix costs 4 times (not 5) more than the Behringer BCF2000.

Sure the MC Mix looks nicer but those faders control data.

Sometimes that fader's physical tactile feel may be a little smoother like the P&G faders on the Mackie MCextenderPro unit but those are subtleties.

Similar to a Toyota getting you from-A-to-B just like a Cadillac will.

Ultimately it controls fader data on a software digital mixer. 

To be perfectly honest if the Korg nanoKONTROL whose size is 12.6"(W)x3"(D)x1" (H)

http://korg.com/product.aspx?pd=415

which costs only $60. used the Mackie Control protocol it would technically do the job (for 9 faders only).

[it's made for software synths, samplers or virtual drum machines ]

And with that Power Consumption USB bus power: less than 100 mA.

But it looks and feels worse than a Yugo.