In Production?

redge

Jeff,

Would it be a good idea to have a section where people could talk about their work (challenges, approach to problemss, use of gear, etc.) on shows that are currently in production?

There is a site on cinematography that has this kind of section. Contributions come from members of the ASC working on feature films to people making television commercials and music videos to cinematographers working on low-budget shorts.

On the site that I am thinking about, stills are often posted to explain lighting setups, etc. The same could be done for sound clips. 

Any point in doing this for sound?

As an aside, given your post about Don Coufall's lecture, could it be made available on this site as we'll as on the Local site?

Cheers,

Rory

I think I know the cinematography site you are talking about and I do agree that the same sort of approach could be valuable for sound professionals as well. As far as posting pictures of various production setups or methods by which a scene may have been approached, I am not so sure how this could be accomplished. Most of us have limited time to do the work in the first place so to have to try and document "on the day" might not be possible. We already have had quite a lot of posts that feature equipment, and to a lesser extent certain techniques, and I think this is a good thing.

I don't know that we actually need another Category for such production experiences to be posted --- if people have that desire, a "In Production" thread even within the General Category could work. Even though this forum has been up and running for some time now, I still don't have a sense of how most people approach using it. I know for me the first thing I do is look at "Show unread posts since last visit" or the list of the last 12 posts and see what interests me --- all of this irrespective of whatever category or thread things were posted in. Some people may do this differently and only go to those categories that they already feel they are interested in.

The idea of putting up some of the educational materials we will have that have been done at our Union events, there are multiple things that need to be considered --- everything from technical considerations at my site here to copywrite and ownership and financial aspects. I will think about it.

If everyone thinks it would be a good idea to have a section called "In Production" I certainly can do that. We'll see what people think.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Jeff - I would love to have a section for this sort of stuff. Coffeysound's online magazine they released was such a brilliant read for me, simply in that I could read about the approaches and unique circumstances sound crews faced on big budget shows that I HAD SEEN.

Such a section could become a valuable database and knowledge pool for "what works and what doesnt" on certain types of shows (say, for example, tropical filming in "Lost", or big budget action, like you did on "MI3"). It could serve to fast track people facing shows that present new challenges that others may have conquered before.

I know there arent always shots of setups, but even a round up is a handy thing that I love to read about. Its a sad thing that in our environment, there is still usually only one production mixer on a set (excluding of course, the boom op and 3rd mans experience), so we work in isolation to a certain extent.

Personally, I would love this, and hopefully some of the guru's here would be willing to share their experiences on shows they have done and I might have seen.. This would be invaluable to me, and hopefully a fun thing to talk about...

Thanks,

Tim

Its a sad thing that in our environment, there is still usually only one production mixer on a set (excluding of course, the boom op and 3rd mans experience), so we work in isolation to a certain extent.

So true. It can be a slow road to progress when working alone. Some of the most rewarding jobs I've worked on were remote reality productions where several sound guys were signed on; at the end of the day we'd all be locked together in the same hotel or camp or whatever to share ideas. I'm not a huge fan of reality per se, but I can't think of another genre that enjoys as much interaction with other sound techs. Much can be learned by comparing notes, and that is exactly what RAMPS and Jeff's site are all about, for me anyway. I know a select few see RAMPS as their own political platform, but so what; it's easy enough to navagate around the rhetoric.  Some things we may take for granted, but for those who don't have the opportunity to regularly interface with peers it can be like living in a cave.

The number of separate catagories on Jeff's site already overwhelms me somewhat, especially after I've been out of touch for a while and want to catch up, scanning various topics, but I'm getting more accustomed to it. I suspect I'm just a creature of habit and used to RAMPS [simple] single-layer posting scheme.

It also seems that quite often posters will elaborate on a topic-specific basis referenceing their own on-set workflow, trials, etc. So would this new sub-group be again subdivided as to topic? Why not just post comments or explainations of groovy setups, problem solvers, improv creations, etc. in general topics? Hey, but what's the harm of one more?

my .02

EB

The number of separate catagories on Jeff's site already overwhelms me somewhat, especially after I've been out of touch for a while and want to catch up, scanning various topics, but I'm getting more accustomed to it. I suspect I'm just a creature of habit and used to RAMPS [simple] single-layer posting scheme.

EB

I actually prefer simple, single layer, single threaded type discussions, but most of the forum software is designed to have lots of different categories, boards, etc. To navigate this site, particularly if you have been away for awhile, is to go first to the text at the top "Show unread posts since last visit", it is a hyperlink, and that will bring up everything since your last login. Also, there is a listing of the last 12 posts, regardless of category.

-  Jeff Wexler

Jeff,

I'm making a comissioned 15 minute radio documentary that will be aired in Canada and the US and might also be available in download/podcast form.

I'm thinking about starting a thread about this project that runs from production through post-production to broadcast. We've already done some of the recording, but we have more to do later this month and in October.

Is this within the scope of this site? My partner and I are working on a somewhat related project that involves film as well as sound, but that would not be part of the thread. 

If this would be within the scope of the site, I suppose that the next question is whether there is any interest in this kind of discussion. I would also want to clear the idea with the producer.

I don't want to push the idea. This site is about sound as it relates to film and video, so it's no sweat if you and others want to keep discussions within that realm.

Perhaps I should be talking with the broadcaster about doing this on its site, or maybe talk with Transom.org. I guess that I just think that it might be fun to do it here, if it fits, and if there is interest.

Cheers,

Rory

Jeff,

If this would be within the scope of the site, I suppose that the next question is whether there is any interest in this kind of discussion. I would also want to clear the idea with the producer.

I don't want to push the idea. This site is about sound as it relates to film and video, so it's no sweat if you and others want to keep discussions within that realm.

Perhaps I should be talking with the broadcaster about doing this on its site, or maybe talk with Transom.org. I guess that I just think that it might be fun to do it here, if it fits, and if there is interest.

Cheers,

Rory

My first reaction is that it could be quite interesting but I think the effort of posting might be better on the broadcaster's site with a follow up on this site --- excerpts possibly, or some digest/summary of the more complete play-by-play on the broadcaster's site (and of course a link here to that site).

I have no objection to whatever you wish to post here and if it becomes a thread, regardless of whether it is started in a General Category or not, and it does spark discussion, that will be a good thing. This Discussion Group I feel is not the place for things which would be more appropriately handled by a BLOG format on some site, so you will just have to consider what it is you are wishing to accomplish.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Further on this, I checked with the broadcaster today and was told that they are interested in doing it and that I should start working on it. The broadcaster is CBC Radio (www.cbc.ca), similar to the BBC, Radio France, NPR. The particular show is broadcast in Canada and the northern US through transmitters, throughout North America through Sirius Satellite and worldwide through the internet. Some segments are also made available through podcast. My partner and I are going through a serious learning curve with this process that might be of interest to those participants in this site who are, like ourselves, less experienced. The idea is to cover the programme from pre-production (in summary, because that is over), production (still in process) and post-production. Anyway, the producer, who is a very cool and talented guy involved, among other things, in some interesting experimental radio, is figuring out the modalities. If anyone is interested, send me a personal message and I'll forward the URL when the site is set up.

Cheers.