cart 7--questions

Gerard-NYNY

For the back wheels I have always tried to find the lightest, smallest wheels to keep the cart compact. I have not always succeeded in getting the right wheels. The other consideration is to get wheels that I can work with in terms of fabricating the axle. I am limited in this area because I have limited tools (no machine shop, no real facility to fabricate anything). So, if I chose a large wheel for example that required a mounting plate of some sort and a custom axle, I would not be able to do these things myself. It is like my ability to work with the parts dictates the design which is not the best way to go but it's all I can do.

For the most part I have ordered casters for the front from various catalogs and it often takes purchasing several types before I settle on one. The rear wheels have usually been either standard 8" or 10" hand truck (Magliner) style wheels or wheels from wheelchair supply. On cart no. 7 they are wheelchair wheels (made for lightweight motorized chair). I found 4 identical wheels in the repairs/spare parts bin of local wheelchair supplier. Very inexpensive compared to ordering wheelchair stuff new.

I'm not sure what the cart weighs with no gear on it. Maybe about 50 lbs.?