seeking additional advice on Zaxcom 900 series

Ron Scelza

Hi Jeff Et-Al,

Billy Sarokin; eloquently covered the Zaxcom 900 on RAMPS without leaving question to the operational benefits.  B U T – This old dog is communication starved with dancing keyboard fingers seeking additional advice on this board..

I just took a show that barley pockets enough bucks to purchase one of “The ultimate wireless”.  Lots of scripted scenes in a moving Bus...

Clearly the 900 series” Digitally ingests the operational lunch of (FM) -- Fu&*ing Magic xmitters;  adds time code options and metadata; recording features as good or better than any recorder out there at  1/20th the size (900;  SD card format conversions operational with the new Zax software;  Case carved from a sold block of aluminum; low power consumption;

Which one??????

TRX 900 - Tiny, TRX900AA - Extended running time, TRX990 -Switchable xmitt power, extended running time, intercom...

(a)Plant to Schoeps Collette. (10%)

(B) Wireless boom (40%), 48v Phantom and T

© Body pack (50%)

Thank you

Sincerely

Ron Scelza

http://ronscelzasoundrecording.com

Ron:

I'm not sure what the questions are and I am also not sure what I could add to Billy S. posts regarding use of the new Zaxcom Wireless, notably the 900. My overall impression from reading and re-reading everythig Billy has been saying, is that the trx 900's are working very well for him on a VERY tough show, but certainly he is the first to point out that there are features and functions that are not fully implemented yet (or are not functioning at all yet). The recording feature, timecode implementation, software for Mac/PC to read and conform to other production tracks on the Deva, these are not fully implemented yet. So, the few times that Billy has utilized the recording aspect, it has been a little bit of a kludge to say the least. Glen Sanders has told me that they are very closs to getting these things working --- of course this needs to be weighed with optimism, skepticism and partience.

Somewhere in your post you indicate something about 48 v. Schoeps powering (plant mics, etc.) and I am not sure what you are asking. For me, and evidently for Billy S., this has been one of the areas where we have both had to hang onto our Audio, Ltd. wireless because those work very well for wireless plant work which we both do. The Zaxcom transmitters (with the exception being the trx 990 so-called boom box) cannot power a 48 v. microphone. I am getting 2 new 900's myself and I will be using them also for plant mics with external power supply --- not nearly as easy or elegant as my Audio, Ltd.

Maybe you can re-state the pertinent questions and we will try and answer.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Dear Jeff,

Billy’s posts are great -- I think I read them all -- but will look them over again.

Thank you for the help...  the additional data answered my question  … 

The supply voltage will not pose a problem I have a few 12v and 48v Denecke.. 

Anyway --  back to my question!  Thanks for your input, since the 990 is  dedicated  to boom or camera use and  I do mostly film I don’t think it’s going to be for me as a multi use system right now..  That leaves the 900AA and the 900.

(Since I’m only buying one 900 system this time..  Weighing the benefits of each vs my usage habits;

Data:  Plants, I do a lot of planting... Orchids, eggplants, peppers and Schoeps...

Body Packs, Not when we have ugly sweating except for screaming talent… 

Wireless boom, probably allot. 

Elimating the 990 really helped , I don't care about the aditional working time of the 900AA..For me, it will be the tiny 900

(My old  Audio Ltd’s VHF friends are on consignment. I kept the oldest one 70's, antique. SILVER case, sounds great!)

Sincerely

Ron Scelza

The supply voltage will not pose a problem I have a few 12v and 48v Denecke.. 

BIG CAUTION with use of Denecke phantom power supplies:  it was discovered quite some time ago that the Denecke power supply, probably part of the auto ON, auto OFF feature, sends the full 48 volts DC out both ends when the mic is first connected --- the 48 vdc that goes out to the Zaxcom transmitter WILL TAKE THE TRANSMITTER OUT! The only way around this is to either modify the Denecke power supply or be absolutely sure you plug the mic into the supply FIRST and then the supply into the transmitter. Second caution or advisory is that you must use new issue Schoeps with these transmitters. Older Schoeps microphones will exhibit bad noises that travel through the cable connection to the transmitter. The new Schoeps design makes the microphone finally almost immune to ANY RF problems but the use of older Schoeps design is really not a good idea --- this applies to Schoeps used as a plant or as a wireless boom mic.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Are the other power supplies that are

not exibiting this.

Sincerely

Ron

I have used the Ambient power supply which is a narrow black box with cable pigtails, takes 1 9 volt and works fine. It is heavy and expensive relative to other outboard supplies (and there aren't that many to choose from these days because Phantom power is built into so many devices).

-  JW

Hi Jeff,

I turned on the Oscope 453 , first time in decade ...  On  loading the denecke 48v input with a 416 I watched the

unloaded output of the denecke. The DC  component increased about a volt then back to zero..  I don't have a 900 yet so I have no clue about the 48V spike -- and Im not willing to take that chance.

I appreciate the warning

Sincerely

Ron

I am running tests right now with the Deneke power supply. When the battery is inserted it puts 20V onto the transmitter side. I dont think this will be a problem with the TRX900. I will know tomorrow for sure.

Glenn

Dear Jeff Et-Al,

I spoke with Glenn from Zaxcom regarding the Denecke 48vdc supply for use to power Mics when used with the 900 series for wireless boom or plants. I think you will be happy to know. “IT’S FIXED”. 

A Zener Diode was designed into the Zaxcom Ultimate Wireless 900 series for protection from external powering devices.

(The zerer will reach a  DC breakdown voltage before any damaging effects can occur to the 900 series circuits).

Enjoy It All

Sincerely

Ron Scelza C.A.S.