Scanner

imagist

Anyone use a relatively inexpensive scanner for finding free frequencies for radio mics and finds it useful?

I've experimented with an Icom IC-R5 -

www.icomamerica.com/en/products/receivers/handheld/r5/default.aspx

which is kind of useful but if anything seems too sensitive. It can easily be programmed with 18 banks of up to 100 set frequencies (ie. 1800 frequencies) from a PC which can then just be clicked through. So I've got a bank of 24 for one block and another bank of 9 intermod. free and another for my timecode TX and another bank for another block etc. and it's very easy to just click through and see if anything obvious is there.

I've used the squelch on maximum and attenuated the sensitivity but still get white noise on some frequencies which doesn't mean the radio mic won't work but might there be reduced range when compared with another frequency which has a lower level of white noise? I'm not sure what the white noise is anyway and why there seems to be very variable levels on different frequencies. I haven't tested the range reduction with higher and lower levels of white noise but was wondering if it might be the case? Anyone know?

thanks

Mick

Hey Mick,

I have never used the r5 like that. Seems nifty. What a bout a less sensitive antenna? I've replaced the stock ones with these which are lower profile. I get a little less range but they are still effective

ama_2_3_3SRH805S.jpg

SRH805S

144/430/1200MHz(2m/70cm/23cm)

Max.Power rating:10W/Impedance:50ohms / Length:4.5cm /Weight:15g

Connector:SMA-P /Type:1/4wave,150/300/450/800/900MHz for receiving only

http://www.diamond-ant.jp/ama2/eng_ama_2_3_3.asp

Hey Mick,

I have never used the r5 like that. Seems nifty. What a bout a less sensitive antenna? I've replaced the stock ones with these which are lower profile. I get a little less range but they are still effective

Thanks for that, thats a very good idea and has the benefit of making it smaller and it's only frequencies above 430Mhz I'm interested in anyway which doesn't need the long standard antenna. Thanks

The Icom radios are handy for quick checks -- but keep in mind they're incapable of helping you find truly clean holes in the RF spectrum.

The R5 and R20 (a bit better) cannot demodulate most or receive many types of digital transmissions (the white noise you've described), and turning the squelch 'up' will cause you to miss much of the other RF junk that may block or limit your wireless systems' range.

You'll want to avoid any frequency with a digital carrier - the white noise - as these are probably giant ATSC TV transmitters and mountaintop public safety repeaters. The 'levels' of noise you're hearing aren't a good indication of the strength of the interference, so try and avoid the frequencies altogether.

The Icoms can't tune to the full bandwidth of most wireless channels, so a frequency that 'sounds' clear may in fact be affected by interference. Also, keep in mind the other stuff using the airwaves won't always follow the wireless channel plans, so tuning to your known frequencies may miss activity that will interfere.

Even more sophisticated receivers - like the computer-driven WinRadios - can't sweep the spectrum fast enough to detect everything that may cause interference. A digital spectrum analyzer is what's needed - but they're way too geeky and expensive to be practical.

Hope this helps --

Eric Leonard

KFI AM-640

Sony WaveHawk, works great, covers all relevant freq.s.  But modern high-end wireless RX and systems do this for you on their own, at least in cart configs.  Back when I worked on travelling shows, we would always fire up the scanner first thing on walking into a new venue...really helped back in the days of fixed freq wireless....

Philip Perkins

I've had great luck with an Aeroflex/IFR Com 120.

1983-com120b_f.JPG

They can be found on ebay for around $4-5K, tho if you don't need the tracking generator you can find them cheaper.

It's really nice to be able to see exactly what's happening in the spectrum, especially on reality stuff with 20-30 channels of RF going.

and even the expensive spectrum analyzers cannot predict intermod interference, you have to start turning your stuff on to see that!
Or maybe turn your laptop on and use something like Winmod which is free

http://www.audioltd.com/resources/software/

Winmod.exe 

Winmodâ„¢ is a custom piece of software designed by Audio Ltd to allowusers to evaluate and automatically generate frequencies free from intermodulation products. Winmodâ„¢ is a very user friendly application.

Winmod is a simple executable. It requires no special DLLs createsno ini or registry settings and may be moved or deleted at will.

Requirements: NT â„¢, XP or Vista

Anyone know of any other software for finding intermod free frequencies?

" Anyone know of any other software for finding intermod free frequencies? "

just about every wireless manufacturer has their own, like winmod; these programs calculate usable frequency combinations, but only for their own specific equipment.  

" turn your laptop on and use something like Winmod which is free "

there are two weaknesses:

The free software programs do not scan the spectrum to determine which frequencies are clear of interference, and potentially most usable.

very few of them actually scan, or check, the spectrum, which is done by other separate programs, which some manufacturers have that works with their specific equipment (like Lectrosonics' LecNet).and needs to be connected to the compatible receivers from that manufacturer.

to my knowledge, only the software application developed by James Stauffo (and currently available from PWS (aka Professional Wireless Systems) can cross calculate amongst various makes and models of wireless equipment.  I know Lectrosonics uses and recommends  this software, but it is not a spectrum scanning program; scanning programs, like Winradio,  will require some sort of (usually proprietary) outboard hardware ...

SDR's (software defined radios) are a rapidly emerging technology area, but still all require dedicated hardware specifically designed for the computer programs.

On the topic of using receivers compatiable with manufacturer's scanning software...

I've (finally) managed to get Audio Ltd 2040 receivers to work with their AudIR software.

For anyone else having trouble:

(shopping list links are UK)

1.) Prolific PL-2303hx USB to Serial Bridge Controller

Expansys - £8.99

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=152682

Driver:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/Eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

2.) ACTiSYS IrDa InfraRed Serial Adapter

Expansys - £39.99

http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=100921

Install driver for PL-2303hx

Plug USB to serial controller in to pc

Open device manager and check Comm port of adapter

(needs to be set to com port 1-4)

Plug in IrDa adapter

Launch AudIr for pc

Settings:

- adjust Com port if necesary

- ensure both 'RTS' and 'DTR' boxes are checked

"Port Open" should now be displayed in bottom left hand corner of AudIR window

• 1 month later...

I found this Spectrum Analyzer to work fantastically for wireless microphone frequency coordination

http://www.dealexcel.com/atten-at5010-spectrum-analyzer-frequency-scanner-1ghz_p322.html

Yeah.....It's a Chinese knock-off.  However at less than $700 it's worth every penny.

I also can't say enough about the IAS software from Professional Wireless/Masque Sound.  I've owned the pro version for a few years now and it has been a total life saver.

One thing about PC based spectrum analyzers.  They all (to my knowledge) works as a "sweeper", which slowly moves it's way across the spectrum plotting information on a graph.  This is incredibly helpful but makes it very difficult to see sporadic interference.  A true spectrum analyzer (like the one in the link above) will open up and show you a huge swath of frequency range in real time.  So, as an example, you can switch the analyzer to look at 100 MHz and you may see some unknown interference that is 1 MHz away and is "clicking".  With the PC based system you would only see this if the "sweep" was on the interference at exactly the moment it occurred.  With the analyzer you will see it immediately.

One other thing...the Yaesu VR-500 is a great little handheld device. Tiny, simple and has a little frequency sweeper. 

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/widerxvr/0500.html

Kevin Parker

• 7 years later...

I understand this is an old thread, but I can't seem to find Winmod.exe by Audio Ltd on their site. I'm looking for a way to manage my wireless units on set also. Currently using several Senn G3 at frequency range B, C and D; a few Senn 2000 series at freq range Dw; and some Shure wireless handheld mics (SVX4 726-742 MHz, BLX4 606-630MHz).

-found an app that may help with RF intermod - Soundrolling app

Still looking for more real time analysis stuff though.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk