DPA 3521 VS CCM VS MKH8000

LSL

Hello All,

I'm looking for opinions from people who've used these three mics and wondering how you feel the stack up?

I will be using them for SFX gathering exclusively. X-Y and ORTF.

I can't get my paws on them to hear them so if anyone has any audio examples that well... would be great!!!

Cheers,

John

This strikes me as a Mercedes vs. BMW vs. Lexus comparison. I own seven or eight different Sennheisers, plus three Schoeps, and love them all for different purposes. Haven't used the DPA's, but I know them by reputation.

I saw a documentary with some of the guys who were doing SFX gathering on one of Peter Jackson's films (I think it was King Kong) done in New Zealand, and I was floored by the length and breadth of different microphones used: dynamics, shotguns, condensors, M/S, X/Y, close mikes, distant mikes, analog recording, simultaneous digital recording, the works. I'm not sure there's one right answer for your question beyond "try them all and see what works." Hard to go wrong with mikes with that kind of heritage behind them.

--Marc W.

Am I correct that when you say DPA 3521 you're talking about a matched pair of the 4021's??

I had a single 4021 that I got to use a s a plant mic, I was not very happy with it.

dont get me wrong, the DPA's are fantastic mics with very accurate reproduction but those miniature condensors seem to lack the sensitivity of the eqivalent Schoeps or Sennheiser mics. I think this shows up on the spec sheets as well.

I think the small DPA cardioids lend themselves more for music recording where SPL's would usually be higher. I now use Schoeps MK4's with collette cables for plants and their sensitivity is fantastic.

I would say for stereo ambience with 2 cardiods you couldnt go wrong with the Schoeps CCM4's or a pair of MKH8040's (the latter being quite alot more affordable)

Jonathan Chiles

www.filmsoundafrica.com

such choices are very subjective, and thus, very individual...

" miniature condensors seem to lack the sensitivity "

or maybe they just have lower output....

like to allow for higher SPL...

this is always a balancing act for the manufacturers, and sometimes there are even alternate versions of the same mic available

Am I correct that when you say DPA 3521 you're talking about a matched pair of the 4021's??

Yes.  I was referring to the 4021's.

Interesting about the sensitivity as a plant mic, good to know.

Thanks!

I'm leaning towards the 8040's right now.  They "appear" to be the quietest and cheapest solution. I wish they had a fig 8 in the 8000 series.. This is the only reason I feel maybe Schoeps might be a better bet in terms of versatility.