Sound recording for Doco series

minket

Hi there,

I need to put together a sound recording kit for a 20 week doco shoot.  It will be shot on DV camera.  My director wants it to be a wireless set up.  So far I have looked at getting a Sound Devices 3 channel mixer, hopefully I can also get a SD 744T hard disk recorder.  I have a Sennheiser MKH60 and accessories but I am unfamiliar with radio mics and wireless systems.  I want a good wireless mic system and a reasonable wireless link back to one of the camera inputs from my mixer.  Lectrosonics would be great but the accountants have baulked at the price.  Is  the Sennheiser EW112 system adequate for  good sound?  Should I get Sennheiser transmitters and receivers and pay more for a higher quality (than ME-2) microphone?  Sync will also be an issue with this system.  Does anyone have any ideas on how or if this system will work.  Any feedback would be appreciated  as I have to learn quickly and advise on what to buy.  Cheers.

a 744t isn't vitial for this type of production. I would take the $4000,00 you will save from not buying it and buy either 2 used 211 Lectros gothamsound has a number of used ones for sale  1200 a piece so buy two of those and 2 sanken cos-11 Lav's and then buy a tascam Hd-P2 2 channel recorder and you will have 2 channel backup. I think that is a much better way to spend your budget 

The 744 or P2 give you the possibility of backup w/ TC, but since you are shooting a Dv camera it is unlikely that there will be any TC output by the camera in any form you can use.  With a wireless camera link an audio backup is always a good idea, but you could use a non-TC recorder (MicroTrak, Edirol R9 etc) for this for much less money, and just keep track of what is in which audio file.  This has worked very well for me in many many doco type situations.  Get the best wireless you can afford.  Lectros are always a good bet, and the support is great.

Philip Perkins